?? about cowl steering

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

international rat

I have a couple of manual steering boxes from previous builds, one from a 69 Camaro and one from a 71 Chevy C10. Im trying to figure out how to extend it out the side of the cowl. I've done some searching with very little sucess. I know that you cut the pitman arm ane weld a length of pipe to it but what do you do with the other end? Any help would be appreciated.

Yeah--you weld the tapered/splined/keyed 'bung' you've cut from the existing arm in the 'pipe', and you weld an arm in an L on the other end of the pipe with holes in it to attach the steering rod. I'td be wise to try and snag some good thickwalled seamless tube for the 'pipe'--just to be safe.

PA41

A couple months age in American Rodder mag there was an article about that. They extanded a corvair box to make cowl steer. Pretty simple procedure it just took a little machine work. I would think ya could do it with about any kind of steerin box.

Unkl Ian, You The same one that hangs with "curse"???
If so, I'm signguy on pinhead and the guy who meet chris and the
family in Orlando at Old town...

Be sure to build your extension pipe in two pieces. One short one with the piece of steering arm, about 3" of pipe and a flange. That way you can put the nut on the steering shaft. Then the longer part that has a flange at one end and the arm at the other poking through the cowl. Also be sure that you can get the longer part of the tube though the hole and support bearing on the side of the cowl. This might mean that the arm needs to be removable from the tube by using two or three bolts in a plate that plugs the end of the tube. Not something that you would think about until you try to put it together.

If I had to use an extension, I'd rather use a larger tube,
so a socket can fit down inside to tighten the nut.
Larger tube is stronger, and less things to fail.

Be sure to build your extension pipe in two pieces. One short one with the piece of steering arm, about 3" of pipe and a flange. That way you can put the nut on the steering shaft. Then the longer part that has a flange at one end and the arm at the other poking through the cowl. Also be sure that you can get the longer part of the tube though the hole and support bearing on the side of the cowl. This might mean that the arm needs to be removable from the tube by using two or three bolts in a plate that plugs the end of the tube. Not something that you would think about until you try to put it together.

The longer the extension shaft, the more you will need to support it.
But the shaft has to run true, or something will eventually break.

Latest posts

Back