Acid for clean a rusty frame and interior?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muriatic acid would be my choice just be sure to neutralize it with baking soda when your done.Stuff called Osphro is a good rust neutralizer.

Naval Jelly is phosphoric acid in a jelly base to keep it in place.

Be careful with leaving acid open in a work space - you might come back the next day and all the metal in the room will have surface rust.

I think it was Don that had the experience with muriatic acid.

I use Muratic acid to clean carburetors, the old tractor cast iron ones, then soak them in a baking soda solution for a while to neutralize them. I have dunked aluminum carbs in the acid too but the secret is to not forget them in there an go to lunch, I found. Also neutralize them in baking soda afterwards. After lunch, you get to go to town and get a new carb, because you can see through the old one. I have been getting away with half the length of time in the base solution as the acidic one.
The cast iron ones could be left in for an hour at least and came out clean.
I never tried it on ordinary iron.

There's probably cheaper ways, but I've had very good luck with POR, marine clean to clean the grease, oil, dirt, and then metal ready for the rust. The stuff is worth it in my mind.

Latest posts

Back