Adhesive for door patches

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt's37Buick

I've read some interesting discussions on using adhesives to patch panels and would like to consider this for repairs on my 1937 Buick Roadmaster.
See picture of the driver side rear door that is most rusted.
If it is possible to do these repairs in this manner it would save me a lot of time and money because I do not own a welder and will have to learn to weld.
I have lot's of experience using adhesive.
1) Will this method work well for bottom of the doors?
2) Is it better to:
a) make a larger patch first and glue it to the back side, and then glue a close fitting patch on the outside surface or
b) Make a flanged patch that fits on the back side with the front flush with the outside?
3) Can anyone recommend a source for bottom patches that would match the 1937 Buick Roadmaster doors?

Attachments

• 011 Rt Rr Door.jpg
    011 Rt Rr Door.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 30
adhesives

i've use this product sense it came out called panel bond it does work great but u still have to weld in some area's such as puting on a quarter panel you would weld at the joints or you body work will crack as the two pieces of metal need to be jointed in your case looking at that door you will need to rebuild some of the inner panel to put a new outer patch panel and u could use this panel bond on the outer panel this also acts as a seam sealer in the jointing of the two panels that help prevent rusting again stop by a local body shop we all use it and ask some question there will be glad to help u in the right direction

i've use this product sense it came out called panel bond it does work great but u still have to weld in some area's such as puting on a quarter panel you would weld at the joints or you body work will crack as the two pieces of metal need to be jointed in your case looking at that door you will need to rebuild some of the inner panel to put a new outer patch panel and u could use this panel bond on the outer panel this also acts as a seam sealer in the jointing of the two panels that help prevent rusting again stop by a local body shop we all use it and ask some question there will be glad to help u in the right direction

That has to be one of the longest sentences I've ever seen.

Thanks for the info.
Sounds promising.
I have also heard that the seam may show through the paint.
Perhaps I can patch seam all doors at the same height and then run a color change through that line to hide the flaw.
1) Does anyone know where I can buy patches to replace the bottom of the doors on my 1937 Buick Roadmaster?
Thanks

Thanks for all your feedback.
The doors are said to have wood frames in them that I'm planning on replacing. That will be easier for me because I have done a lot of woodwork through the years and have a lot of wood working equipment.
I'm planning a frame off build and I have a local oval track shop lined up to do the suspension and chassis work.
I'm just trying to get a handle on the whole project before I start spending cash. The more I save now leaves more for a better paint job.
The rust at the front of the front fenders and below the grill is also bad. See picture.
Questions I'm trying to answer:
1) Do I need a welder (or can I use just panel bond process) and
2) if so, should it be 115 volt or 230volt.
Some tell me to buy 230volt and some say 115V will suffice. 230V are $400 more and require me to add another circuit to my garage for another $100 in materials.
This is probably the only car I will use the welder on and all the chassis welding will be done by the track car shop.
I'm going for a 95% rebuild that will be a daily driver.
Thanks for all your help

Attachments

• 016 Front left bumper mount.jpg
    016 Front left bumper mount.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back