advice, thoughts '57 Buick nailhead

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastCoastKrawler

I came across an ad for a 57 Buick parts car. Guy said it's a lost cause but mechanically complete. Went to look at it today. Pics are attached.

Here's what is salvageable:
-364 Nailhead
-Dynaflow Trans
-Torque-tube and diff
-Radiator
-steering column/wheel
-rear windows
-hood and some trim

Guy wants $500. I figure I can pick it up for $400 and cut up the frame and shell and haul it away to the scrapyard for some $$ back. Probably the trans and diff too since I'd order an adapter kit to a GM trans I saw recently.

I guess its a no-brainer. I don't need a nailhead but I'll never find one again and I'm sure I'll find a use for it someday.

Thoughts, comments?

Attachments

• buick1.JPG
    buick1.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 43
  • buick2.JPG
    buick2.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 34
  • buick3.JPG
    buick3.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 35
  • buick4.JPG
    buick4.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 38
Guy also has a '55 International 2 ton flatbed truck in the woods, ran great in the 70's LOL. For sale too told me to make him an offer. Problem is I don't have my own woods to park it in !

Attachments

• buick5.JPG
    buick5.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 21
  • buick6.JPG
    buick6.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 21
  • buick7.JPG
    buick7.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 21
Good score. Motor alone is worth the price. Trans (DynaFlo) is junk but would be worth something to a restorer, along with the rearend.

Before cutting up the car, I would post on a Buick site. Those restorers might pay good bucks for parts. Doors, hinges, trim, etc....

Some people may have interest in that grill too. Custom guys use them. I think that you could make your money back selling the usable parts off of that car.

The Nailhead alone is worth the peice of admission. I'm with gasser & Gastrick, you'll make your money back & probably more parting it out.

Yep, the guys are right. You figure $ 400 initial outlay and you can recoup $ 75 to $ 125 in scrap value for the carcass, sell the other stuff on Ebay, like grille, trim, etc, and you will end up with a free nailhead. Buicks are cool motors, so oldtimey looking.

If you took your time you could pick the bones clean and get lots of salvagable parts to sell or trade.

Don

Sorry obee, I ended up passing on it once I looked closer and saw that the motor had been taken apart to an extent and put back together. The rest of the car was gutted of ALL useful parts, why did they leave the motor in there???

There'll be more deals, I'm waiting for a hemi or a flatty !

Latest posts

Back