Air Filters for individual stack induction

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend Bow

Hey all,

I'm building a 4 banger for my as yet unfound rod. I had the motor, so I'm rebuilding it, and warming it up a bit.

It is a Nissan 2.4L (145.7 ci) DOHC that will be sporting an individual Throttle body setup with fuel injection that I designed and built. I am also upping the compression ratio to 11:1, ported the head, 3-angle valve job, and it seems all the emissions junk fell off and I can't find it... ;)

I have the air horns already, but I am thinking I will need some type of air cleaner or maybe socks on it.

Any Suggestions?

Here is the intake setup:

15ITBs1.JPG

The Business end (small mammals stand clear)

18ITBs4.JPG

I’ve seen a lot of velocity stacks with just a screen in them, and have been told that some make their own with window screen.
I’d still be concerned with fine dirt particles getting in.

I’ve seen a lot of velocity stacks with just a screen in them, and have been told that some make their own with window screen.
I’d still be concerned with fine dirt particles getting in.

That is exactly what I was worried about...

Thanks for the reply

Nice!

Bow,
Nice setup there!!! I'd love to hear that motor run! Somwhere someone must sell screens for those.

BoB

Bow,
Nice setup there!!! I'd love to hear that motor run! Somwhere someone must sell screens for those.

BoB

Thanks Tripper, they were a long time in the research, scrounging supplies, and the making!

I think I might need something a little finer than screens...

What are you going to do if it rains if its in an open car or truck:cool:Dan

Hey Dan,

What ever I build will have a hood, but these being sidedraft, the hood won't matter much...

I'll probably run it like I fun my current fun-car... only when the sun is shining and no chance of rain... ;)

How to the guys running stacks get around the rain problem?

Induction filter/screen

Just an idea to throw into the mix. What about the sifters used in baking? The better ones are stainless, the wire edge and screen are all you would need off one of them, remove the handle. If you had a pair, so you could sandwich a piece of open cell foam for a filter. You can buy the foam sheet for the front of a window airconditioner. They are about 12 x 18 inches and 1/8th inch thick. Go to you local Dollar store and get a couple of cheapie strainer/sifters and experiment. Even if it didn't pan out, at the worst, you might have 3 or 4 bucks invested per stack. If your happy with the proto type, buy the better stainless ones and make the finished piece. How are you going to attach them? I don't know, have to see if you can get the right sized screens first. Sniper;)

How about using foam lawn mower filters? Cut them round. Put a screen under them to keep them from getting sucked into the engine....grouchy

Latest posts

Back