Airbag question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mykep02

Curious on what people suggest for fitting sizes on airbags. 3/8", 1/2", etc. also pounds size. 2500. Etc. I'm putting them in a 51 olds rocket coupe.

Im using 3/8, its plenty fast.the bigger the bag the less pressure it takes and softer the ride but takes more of it (volume)requiring a good pump and large tank and more space to keep from rubbing on anything .My tank is to small but I put a good pump on after the little chrome ones crapped out.

Attachments

• backbed.jpg
    backbed.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 65
  • 2011-08-30 16.31.18.jpg
    2011-08-30 16.31.18.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 57
Check my Olds build. As big of bags as you can fit. With 1/2 lines and 120 PSI in my tank I could bounce the front end a little and the rear A LOT. I made reducers with about a 1/16th" hole - now it is smooth up and down. Next time I'll go 3/8 or maybe even 1/4" if I find it.

It's suggested to go 4way as 2way leans bad in corners - so I've been told.

What about a compressor from like a caddie rear suspension?

Not powerfull enough to maintain the air pressure. They don't produce much volume at all and are made for air shocks not air bags. The springs take the weight and the shocks just help to level it. Was a caddy tech for too many years and had the same thought.

I put bags on a 71 Olds Coupe with a 455. At the same time my brother bought a '67 caddy coupe out of Cali that had been bagged. The differences in the systems were huge!

Mine: Big single compressor and 3/8" lines & valves. All the valves were in the trunk with lines to all the bags. Large tank.

His: Nitrogen tank with regulator (compressor back-up) to feed the storage tank. Had 1/2" lines and valves. The valves were all near the bags not in the trunk.

My god what a difference! Mine would go up slow in the front. Could go up/down maybe twice and then a long wait to build pressure up. No fun.

His would pop up like it weighed 100 lbs. Could actually hop the 472 off the ground with the pressure turned up. The nitrogen tank would fill the storage tank in seconds...no waiting for compressor. It was awesome.

SO - I would def use 1/2" lines & valves, get the valves close to the bags. That way you aren't wasting a bunch of air filling up the long air line from the trunk and then bag. Engine driven compressor or nitrogen is the way to go if you like to play with it.

If you go electric, need 2 big ones and a 100 amp alternator to run them most likely. And I would definitely get the front/back/side/side. Its the only way to proper level the car.

I have a small tank but a big comp on mine. Only a 5 gal tank, tanks one tank pumped up to 110 psi to put 80psi in each of my front dominator 2600 bags. I run 3/8 valves and I think that it is just right or maybe a little too fast. But I had originally 1/4" manual valves on it and I thought those were entirely too slow. Spend the money on a good compressor, or shop around for a nice used one. I found mine for free, it is power hungry, but it works well.

Latest posts

Back