allstate tires?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratterman

has anyone ever heard of allstate tires? i found a local guy selling some 600x16s on 37 Chevy wheels with about 1000 miles on 4 of the tires and the spare has never been mounted. he wants 400 for everything which i think is a good deal but was wanting to see if there are any negatives about that brand tire. I can't seem to find them for sale on the internet anywhere.

Allstate was a name brand of Sears and Roebucks. Thay had Allstate Insurance, Allstate Tires, Allstate car parts, and Allstate cars, which was a Henry J sold through the Sears catalog! Plus a bunch of other stuff. I don't know when they quit making the Allstate brand must have been years ago. Allstate Insurance became an independant company back in the mid 90s.

http://www.searsarchives.com/brands/allstate.htm

Last edited:
Allstate was a name brand of Sears and Roebucks. Thay had Allstate Insurance, Allstate Tires, Allstate car parts, and Allstate cars, which was a Henry J sold through the Sears catalog! Plus a bunch of other stuff. I don't know when they quit making the Allstate brand must have been years ago. Allstate Insurance became an independant company back in the mid 90s.

http://www.searsarchives.com/brands/allstate.htm

Yeah i found that same info on the web to. I guess these are older tires then if they no longer make them. if they are in good shape and actually have the low miles he claims then i guess it's still a good deal.

Allstate was sold by sears for decades. I have a set of 6.00 x 16 ww. Good tires, if they are not weather cracked should be just fine. If they have all the dot warnings on the side wall they are most likely from the 80's, thats when the warnings first apperared on tires, if I am not mistaken.L

Yeah i found that same info on the web to. I guess these are older tires then if they no longer make them. if they are in good shape and actually have the low miles he claims then i guess it's still a good deal.

Ratter,
I seen decades old "real" rubber tires that were in near original shape with no cracking what so ever!

BoB

well i talked to the guy and he said they are about 4 years old and have been stored in the garage the whole time. said there is no dry rot or defects at all and he has 4 new tubes to go with them. I'm going to go ahead and buy them since i figure i can make some of my money back from the 37 Chevy wheels,caps and trim rings and have a cheap set of wide whites to get my project underway.

I think I would be a little leery. To my knowledge Sears hasn't made tires for a very long time, and old tires are an accident waiting for a place to happen. Rubber ages regardless of how it is stored, and can blow out when you least expect it.

Not saying this will happen here, but I would just be very careful. The 4 year thing seems funny to me, unless I am dead wrong about the last time they made tires.

Don

Don, i gotta say you are an extremely catious dude. Any tire could blow at anytime. On part i agree, perhaps install some new tubes.

I'm in agreement with don on this one. Tires generally have a life of about seven years regardless of usage. Sears quit using the Allstate name for merchandise in the mid seventies so these tires would be at least 30 years old.

I asked the guy about the age and have told him that allstates have not been made for about 20 years and he said that these are reproduction allstates made to look like the originals that would have came originally on a 37 Chevy. he bought the 37 Chevy freshly restored about 4 years about and tore it down to build a street rod. Maybe I'll just pass on them just to be safe. I've searched the web and can't find any company that sells a reproduction allstate tire.

tiretread.jpg

tirescloseup.jpg

600x16s.jpg

here are some pics he emailed me

In that first pic with the penny in it.That looks to be a real bad separation between the contact patch and the side wall.:eek::eek::eek:

I don't see what your talking about, are you meaning the line right under the tread?

I'm going to go look at them tonight and see if there is a date on them anywhere. From what I've read on the internet there should be a 4 digit number that is the build week and year.

After thinking about this some more, it could be that someone has taken on the Allstate name and is making tires again. I googled and found some places in Mich and Fl that have the name of Allstate Tire Co. Maybe Sears abandoned the name and it was picked up or licensed by someone.

Check the date code, that should tell you something.

Don

Well i ended up getting them after looking at them. I think they are in great shape with only some scuffs on the whitewalls. no signs of cracks or tread separation. I got them at a really good price to and have the wheels sold for almost what i paid for everything.

where is the date code at? and what doe sit look like?

where is the date code at? and what doe sit look like?[/QUOTE]

U.S. DOT Tire Identification Number
This begins with the letters "DOT" and indicates that the tire meets all federal standards. The next two numbers or letters are the plant code where it was manufactured, and the last four numbers represent the week and year the tire was built. For example, the numbers 3197 means the 31st week of 1997. The other numbers are marketing codes used at the manufacturer's discretion. This information is used to contact consumers if a tire defect requires a recall.

DOT code: All tires for use in the USA have the DOT code, as required by the Department of Transportation (DOT). It specifies the company, factory, mold, batch, and date of production (2 digits for week of the year plus 2 digits for year; or 2 digits for week of the year plus 1 digit for year for tires made prior to 2000)

Sample DOT Tire Code-> DOT VDHL1PM046

"DOT" – This part of the DOT Tire Code means that this tire meets or exceeds Department of Transportation's tire safety standards.

"VD" - This part of the DOT Tire Code is the code number that is assigned by DOT to the manufacturing plant. In this case above the DOT code on this Firestone tire indicates it was manufactured at the Bridgestone Firestone - Decatur, Illinois Tire Plant. If the Dot Tire Code had VN, then the DOT tire Code would indicate the firestone tire was manufactured in Joliete, Quebec Canada. Same would apply if the DOT tire code indicated HY - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, W1 - Lavergne, Tennessee, W2 - Wilson, North Carolina and/or 8X is Aiken, SC

"HL" - This part of the DOT Tire Number Code is the tire size - P195/75R14.

"1PM" is a group of up to four symbols on the above sample DOT number is optional with the manufacturer, to identify the brand or other significant characteristics of the tire.

"036" means the tire was made during the 3rd week of 1996. The first two numbers on this part of the DOT number code designates the week, the last number the year.

Don

looks like they were made on the 38th week of 1999, so they are 9 years old but were bought ''new'' in 2004 according to the receipts the guy got with the restored 37 Chevy he bought that they came form after he streetrodded it this past summer.

Just be careful as rubber ages just from time and can cause problems. My daily driver is the proverbial "Little Old Ladies Car", an '84 Crown Vic that I bought from the original owner a few years ago with only 50,000 miles on it (now has 75,000) The spare was the original and had never been on the ground, but I put it on one time because one of the tires on the car developed a "hop." After driving it on the spare for a week or two it suddenly blew out on me one day, the sidewall just went away completely.:eek: I was just about to enter a four lane bridge that runs for about 3 miles with nowhere to pull over, but decided instead to take a different route. Luckily I was only going about 35 and able to pull over and change it.

That day I went out and bought 4 new tires. :)

Don

has anyone ever heard of allstate tires? i found a local guy selling some 600x16s on 37 Chevy wheels with about 1000 miles on 4 of the tires and the spare has never been mounted. he wants 400 for everything which i think is a good deal but was wanting to see if there are any negatives about that brand tire. I can't seem to find them for sale on the internet anywhere.

I have a set of these tires mounted and balanced on original 46 pontiac silver streak rims, they are mint condition white walls, original hubcaps and centers im asking 500 obo for mine

Latest posts

Back