Alright, I need tuning help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatBroke

Hostage Negotiator
I'm going to do some motorwork on the truck here in the next couple of weeks and might need some help. The last time I replaced a set of plugs they only lasted a month (maybe two) before #6 fouled out. (It is always #6)

I plan on replacing all the normal tune up stuff:

Plugs (E-3 diamond fires)
Plug wires
Dist. cap
rotor
ignition coil
Royal Purple oil
K&N oil filter
Hi-Torque mini starter
Wireing harness from Rebel...

If this problem persists, I need to figure out what in the world is going on. The best I recall when my brother had this motor built, the guy could not get #6 valves adjusted (Dont ask, I dunno)

The motor has a Holley 600 or 650 on it right now...(dual line) I think it is jetted a little too fat...I probably need to rejet it to a more street friendly size but I don't know a thing about a carb.....

Am I jumping the gun, or is there anything I can do untill I replace all the tune up parts?

If you are only fouling one plug, I don't think that the problem is related to fuel delivery. Are you sure the plug is not oil fouled? There may also be weak spark to that particular cylinder. Maybe you have a cam lobe problem on number 6?

I think Gastrick hit on the major things, the only thing I might add to the list is the possiblity of a loss of compression because of a broken or worn ring. I think what would help is to find out if it's an oil fouling or is it "drowning" in gas

I have not ruled out the possibility that I may have to replace the cam and lifters...

What I had not thought of was a compression check.

Either way, thanks for the help. Im going to be looking in to it sometime next week. I will keep you updated.

c :eek:Check the valve seal under the intake or exhaust spring make sure the seal is not cracked or it is realy their ,Yes I Know to much beer when assembly!!!!

Latest posts

Back