2000 Buick misfire ??????????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the fuel pressure is not the culprit, I would start looking at the grounds to the motor as well as to the chassis. Many things are low voltage in the fuel injection system sensor wise and it can play hell with intermittent issues if grounds are poor or corroded

I had a Jeep GC that started out like that and then it went to just dying going down the road but would always start back up then it got to where you would have to wait a few min.I changed everything I could think of and no codes. Finally took it to a mechanic buddy to look at his first checker didn't pick up nothing but his second one had a tach on it and it was the "crank sensor" hit and missing after that all was good.

Good news and Bad news ... bought a crank sensor ..... ........... ....... but didnt fix it ,, so I eliminated one more part anyways [S still no codes ...

I dont know where I got the $118 from I think that was the knock sensor price , the crank sensor was $35 ..The only thing about putting it in a shop they will replace the other sensors till they fix it . .. then I get charged for them all cause you cant take an electrical part back if its been tried . All they will say is they were all bad .:( Oh, and the fuel pressure was 45

Last edited:
Well crap...that's not what I expected to hear, I was expecting it to cure the problem right off the bat.:(
Me too sniper , I was so tickled I put it on last night .. I drove it up the road and back and no problems .. then the wife went to town this morning and skippety du da all over again , .. I drove it some tonight it skipped or jump what ever you call it . for a few then for about 5 miles it run good .. then ka-thump again ... going 50 mph it sounds like you run over a big split in the road and it jerks . then all good for a little while , then jumps 6 or 8 times in a 1 mile span ... looks like the G.M. shop in our town may have to check it out .. But knowing them .it wont skip when they have it . and they'll say theres nothing wrong with it .. And $65 please for checking you car out ...???

Did you check the regulator vacuum line for fuel leak, like JBailey mentioned in post 15?
Does it run fine when the engine is first started and only does this after it gets to running temp?

Are there any unusual smells when this happens?
The fuel may be building up in the exhaust and when the catalytic converter gets hot it actually creates an explosion and kills the engine. The thumping you're hearing is the fuel igniting in the cat

No smells . just jumps and the thump I an hearing is the engine mounts .. because it has the same noise if you run it up in revers to soon out of park. Its just the engine caughs or something , that makes the engine jerk.Its not a backfire . its kinda internal , you dont hear it out the exhaust if it dies . its usually not going down the road , its usually at the idling period or foot not on the gas riding around to a parking spot or something (if that makes sense) . but starts right back up with no odors . It still skips going down the road just dont go dead . The vacuum line going to the fuel reg , is dry . Our chevy dealer here is not that noted for being "-the place" to get things fixed . May have to take it there anyway , and bite the bullet when the bill comes out :( And it seems to be no set time before engine warms up or after engine reaches running temp . I guess thats why they call it random . I drove it for about 15 min. strait last night and no sputters at all , then spitter sputter again before I got home .

This is the note im going to leave the mechanic that works on my car .

I have changed the spark plugs (which looked new )

I changed the plug wires ( didnt look bad )

I changed the inline fuel filter

I changed the crank sensor

I cleaned the mass flow air sensor

I checked the vacuum line hooked to the fuel regulator (which was dry)

I checked the fuel pressure , 45 #

skips and jerks randomly in park and going down the road . sometimes stalls out the car while idling around.. no smells and will start right back up if it stalls. has plenty of power going down the road .

I'm starting to think you have an issue with the ignition switch perhaps...
That or what I mentioned earlier, the grounds...

Its going to be a hard thing to find , just because it does it and 2 seconds later its like nothing happen ... I've wiggled every wire under the hood with no change and if it don't shut off when you move it you wont even know you had your hands on it . I have one more mechanic I'm going to try , If he cant get it its off to the chevy garage.. I sure hate it . They have had my wife's sisters car up there for over two weeks changing an intake .. wonder how much that will cost when she gets it back ?????.

I WANT THE OLD ELECTRONIC IGNITION SYSTEM BACK (NO COMPUTERS) if the old stuff cough's or farts you know what to do with it or about 3 things its going to be ..

One other thing I read about. Take the o2 sensor out of the back of the manifold run it and if it quits the missing then, the cat is bad which causes the miss.
The o2 hole lets the pressure off the exhaust.
Sounds strange to me but, this problem is strange.

Yes it is very strange,,, thats an idea.. thats what all the shade tree and supposed to be (real) mechanics say when they look at it .. Hmm never seen that before .. one time it threw the knock sensor code another time it said misfire #6 all other other times no code , which I know why the misfire and knock sensor went off cause that's when it almost died when running with computer hooked to it, and it went clank clank :D If I could time it out to were I knew when it would do it ,, it would be more helpful in finding the problem ..

well , I had my last mechanic bail out on me with out so much as a call , after waiting a week for him to look at my car . Rather than taking it to our (so called) chevy garage , which they do service what they sell first .... so yours sits there till they have "nothing" to do .... I threw some more parts at it .. still no codes .... the mechanic that bailed on me , mentioned it was the Module , that was the problem (even though it checked out on the tester at the parts house ) 6 times in a row by the way .. and passed all 6 times .. So I got one and put it on ,, hmmmm ,,,, didnt fix it ... so yesterday I run by and got a mass air flow sensor...because one time it said insufficient flow to mass air flow sensor ... then it didnt show it no more ..(I figured it showed up because the car just about stalled out ) IDK I unplugged the mass. sensor before I got the new one and it didnt even quit running It did put the check engine light on though.. So I put the new mass sensor in and so far,,( IT DONT SKIP) I dont under stand why it didnt throw a mass code up more than that one time. but if its fixed Its ok that I dont know why :D I ended up with a goooooood tune up on my car any how . Yall want to know anything about a buick misfire or skip . the buick forum has this problem all over it and different things has fixed them every time but not the mass sensor ..[S

THANK YOU ALL FOR TRYING TO HELP ME OUT ON THIS FRUSTRATING PROBLEM I'VE HAD OR MAY STILL HAVE , AINT 100% SURE YET ,, FINGERS CROSSED ITS GONE !!!!! [cl

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back