also another question!!!! engine placement

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigShem

when you guys are putting in your engine and drivetrain how do you measure to set your engines in to make engine motor mount is there a trick .... i have an idea but want to be sure..... let me know how you all do it thanks

Firewall clearance is the big factor. Too close, and you can't work on it, too far, and it looks bad. I start with the measurement to clear the distributor, or valve covers.

I make sure I have the radiator I'm going to use so I know exactly how much space I have between the firewall and radiator. I mock up the engine in the car, centering it in the chassis side to side, also making sure that it is level side to side. As a general rule, most engines post torque tube era are installed with a 3 degree downslope to the rear. You can fudge that a little if you have any clearance issues. The front to rear angle can also change depending on the intake manifold you are using. Some have the carb mounting surface parallel to the block, and some have an angled surface so that the carb will sit level when the engine is installed with a downslope to the rear. If you are using a mechanical fan, I would have that on the engine also when doing my mock up in order to make sure there is no clearance problem with the fan, front crossmember, or lower radiator hose.

I like to set the engine as close to the firewall as I can and still have room to reach the bellhousing bolts and distributor clearance. Once I get the engine braced up where I want it, I fab up the mounts and that's it. Keep your steering box/column in mind too when checking clearances.

ah thats kool thanks fellas now would that take care of ho low it sits in the frame as well..... i was worried about the oil pan clearance?????

Latest posts

Back