Amazing Car.....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

22dodge

The other Dodge brother
Cool thread on another site about Aero engined cars..
This one is something else, just too cool.
Seems like everything has been drilled, love the body work, engine and WOOD frame.:eek:
Just makes me want to go build something........... :rolleyes: '22

Attachments

• GN1a.jpg
    GN1a.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 119
  • GN3a.jpg
    GN3a.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 115
  • GN4a.jpg
    GN4a.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 87
Incredible!

Wow... that is an incredible piece of machinery!!! I am *always* amazed at external valve train engines!!!

BoB

Wow , that is awesome , thanks for posting it ...... now i`ll have to stare at it for a couple of hours !:)

It's 08:30 here and I have been looking at those 3 pictures since 05:00.....
The external gears on the crank, drilled cylinders and crankcase rim, exposed valve train.....
And that hood... I need to get a bead roller..... :rolleyes:
This will take all day..:D

Quarter eliptical front, I guess the back is probably the same. Intereseting piece of equipment there alright. That must be an oil tank under the hood.

I feel your pain , I hate that I will have to go back and redo things now , but it makes a cooler car in the end...... lots of ideas in those 3 pics.....24

Hand pressure pump under the left side of the dash area.
I need to make hold down straps for my new gas tank, I like the straps on that one with small pieces of ? between the tank and the hold down strap.
And it's a two person ride, passenger a little behind the driver.
If you weren't good friends when you started, you will be when the ride is over ;). '22

We may have to have Gastrick's people to find us some more pictures of this.
I'd like to see the drive line, it almost looks like a chain drive, or something? I can't see it well enough.

OMG! What an awesome machine. That set back passenger seat is from when a mechanic rode along in races,which in my mind took more guts than being in the drivers seat. It has lighting,wonder if it was driven on the street.

Last edited:
I believe that car is from England , which probably means it raced in Lemans type races that went from day to night....24

Really cool car. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all build our frames with 2X4s and some wood screws! Love it.

A photo link....

We may have to have Gastrick's people to find us some more pictures of this.
I'd like to see the drive line, it almost looks like a chain drive, or something? I can't see it well enough.

Here is a link to a photo hosting site with 40 huge pictures of this car.
You should be able to see most everything you want.
Make sure you click the "full size" icon on the top right of the page.
It will take me awhile to save all of these....

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2011792200036898833FwaIpQ?vhost=rides

This car has given me too many ideas.... need to focus my efforts on the rear of my car.... ;) '22

Last edited:
Cool thread on another site about Aero engined cars..
This one is something else, just too cool.
Seems like everything has been drilled, love the body work, engine and WOOD frame.:eek:
Just makes me want to go build something........... :rolleyes: '22

What an outrageously cool piece of history! Thanks for posting that!
Scott:cool:

I think that is a seriously cool car. One of the coolest I've seen. I posted those pics over in the fresh thinking thread last night. I didn't see your post here.

Actually J.A.P. stood for J. A. Prestwick. An English engine manufactuer more commonly known for motorcycle engines such as the JAP engine powering this 1932 Brough Superior.

From your English Correspondent

I have a bit more info on this car and will try and get more this weekend when I meet some friends at a lecture at the National Motor Museum...

The car is based on a GN Cyclecar built from 1911 to 1919 (the G is from HR Godfrey of HRG sports car fame & the N is from Fraser-Nash of the 20's & 30's) and is indeed powered by a JAP engine - where most JAP engines are V twins this is a 5 litre V8 WW1 aero engine! We Brits liked aero engined cars in the 20's & 30's for land speed attempts and the like.

The car is known as the GN JAP Grand Prix (but I cant prove it was raced at a Grand Prix).

But the biggest surprise is it is still being raced :eek: and by still i mean it appears in results list for a VSCC (Vintage Sports Car Club) event in August this year :eek::eek: achiving a top speed of 74 MPH.

I have attached a pic of it at Caldwell Park last may... nice to see it's in the lead :)

Attachments

• Robert Carr (no 26) GN JAP Grand Prix.jpg
    Robert Carr (no 26) GN JAP Grand Prix.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back