AMC Engines?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AMC made two different types of V8s the early one 287s and 327s were a completely different engine from the later 290-304-343-360-390-401 engines all externally the same size.

U beat me to it...................My ole lady has a Gremlin we bought to fix up for her but I've been neglecting it, has a straight six but will switch to AMC v8 power.

More AMC stuff

AMC engines are still around in salvage yards and usually for cheap. Look in Jeep Cherokees. They were also used in some of the later Internationals. If you can find a 390 or 401 grab it.

The later blocks are exclusivley AMC however, as said before they used a lot of other makes parts. For example the valve train. Small block Chevy rocker arms and push rods with small block LA Mopar engine lifters. Standard ignitions used GM Delco internal parts. Mopar 727 automatic transmissions, Borg Warner T-10 4 speeds, Saginaw steering boxes like GM, starting 71 or 72GM power steering pumps. In 1970 they started using Ford Motocraft 4 barrel carburetors, prior to that they used Carter.

It's real easy to make good power with an AMC engine. Just make sure you fix the oiling problem!! All the major speed equipment companies have parts. They just cost more. Edelbrock even makes aluminum heads for them. However, stock heads flow really good. In 1970 and later the ports and valves are biggger than SB Chevys... 2.025" intake valves.

Front suspension starting 1970 was very similar to the Ford Mustang type with coil spring over the upper A-arm. I don't know if they were the same but real close. Rear ends were AMC.

If you want to have an alternative power plant keep the AMC in mind.

Latest posts

Back