Anglia Redo

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
Anglia004.jpg

About 30 years ago a guy I knew a bit mentioned he had an Anglia body and frame he wanted to get rid of. It didn't fit with his collection of '32-'34 Fords. I got it for $400, which was cheap even then. Originally, I put an Opel front suspension (the hot deal at the time) and parallel leaf spring in the rear. Also, a 327/350 combo and a 9" rear end. I literally drove it 2 city blocks and parked it for 17 years.

AngliaDogs007.jpg

After I retired and got my "Honey Do" list of projects completed, I decided to ressurect the Anglia. The Opel front suspension had very small brakes so I narrowed a Pinto front suspension myself and installed it. Unfortunately, it I didn't narrow it quite enough. To correct the situation I installed a Fat Man MII front. It works very well, but necessitated moving the engine back. Of course, that caused a chain of other modifications to get the thing back together.

AngliaDogs008.jpg

It took 4 u-joints to get from the rack & pinion to the steering wheel, but it works well. The diagonal tube in the pic is part of the 14 point roll cage that was installed at that time.

Last edited:
AngliaDogs012.jpg

While I was fooling around with the thing I ditched the leaf springs and installed a Chris Alston Chassisworks 4 link rear suspension. The 9" Currie rear was an original installation, it went from a 3.70 to a 3.23 gear that this time.

Last edited:
AngliaDogs014.jpg

Luckily I got the bakelite dash when I bought the car and was able to use it even with the roll cage.

AngliaDogs013.jpg

Initially I had fiberglass buckets, which were replaced with Kirkey aluminum seats. During the last redo Grand Am seats were installed for some comfort. A decent stereo was swiped out of my truck and put in too.

AngliaDogs010.jpg

Initially the car had a 327 which through one of my many jughead moves, cracked when I didn't drain the block. When all the suspension work was done a pretty healthy 377 inch sbc with a reverse pattern 350th and 10" converter was installed. It proved to be a bit of a handfull so a mild 355inch sbc with a stock 350TH and almost stock converter was installed.
After all this, which was done about 5 years ago, I put about 500 miles on the little bomb and once again parked it, until a few days ago.
Now, it's time to make some good use of the car, so I fired it up (runs great) and this week have pulled the front tin and rear fenders off of it.
The plan is to paint it (myself) with SEM Hot Rod Black.
Hopefully, in a few weeks I'll post a pic of it wearing its new coat. It could be the only RAT Anglia in the country!

Here's where I need some help: The car is in lacquer primer. The SEM product is (I think) Urethane Enamel with a hardner. Will I need to shoot a coat of sanding sealer on top of the lacquer primer? I don't want to put a primer/sealer on it, just a sealer, if necessary, to prevent a bad result.

Last edited:
Did someone say Anglia? [cl I love em and I was hoping you would drag yours out of the back of your shop.

Bob, I think you'll be fine shooting the urethane enamal over a lacquer based product, It's the other way around that usually causes all of the problems. To be safe, you could spray a small test panel first.

I think it's really hard to appreciate the issues associated with building an Anglia until you have put one together. To say that space is at a premium is an understatement. Clearing up one space issue spawns another. It's easier if it's a race only car but it gets dicey when you need all of the street trim in addition. I can't wait to see the new look on your car.

Good lookin car Bob![cl...I hope you get to drive it a lot more than you have been!!!:D,I'll bet that 377 was more than a handfull!,:eek:,keep the pics coming please....:DCR

I love those little cars. I raced two years ago. Wrecked the first one. Had the second one setting in the corner of my garage until I split with the wife. Oh I miss her. The car that is.

I bet your glad you never decided to sell it.

That's a neat LITTLE car , I don't know that I would have room to change my mind in there ! Cool car , I think they look radically neat !!

ReadyToPaint001.jpg

Thanks for all the interest in my Anglia. Let me state clearly, it will never have the outstanding fit and finish of Gastrick's Ute. I would love to see that car in person someday.
Tomorrow I pull the trigger. The paint gun trigger that is. All the sanding and masking is done. I covered everything in the garage with plastic. Enamel overspray can't be swept up like lacquer overspray so covering everything seems like a good idea.

Latest posts

Back