Another choice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty one

I have a stock front suspension on a 48 Chevy rat rod. Would like an inexpensive way to change it over (get rid of those 2 leafs up front). What front end set ups are available? Ive seen some from Speedway but just don't know what will work with not to much effort. Any info will greatly help...
I'm new at this ,so take it easy...:eek:

What are you wanting to change over to? Transverse spring? IFS? Air bags? Quarter elliptical? Hovercraft?

You're gonna need to prvide some more info about what you have and what you want. Specifics would be key in providing assistance here... :confused:

Lets try again..Its a stock front end from a 48 Chevy. It has leaf springs on either side... looks odd to me. I'd like to simplify it by maybe having a single spring set up.I want to get rid of those dual leaf springs for sure. Not sure how to explain it better ...since I'm new at this stuff.

Attachments

• DSCN5317.jpg
    DSCN5317.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 53
Honestly I would put the fenders and hood back on it. It would look MUCH better and more proportioned.
That being said, I'll just beat everyone else to it and say "It's your car, build it how you want". :rolleyes:

If you insist on leaving it open wheeled, you have your work cut out for you. Not saying it can't be done, but if you want to put a transverse spring on that it is going to be a bit of an undertaking. Basically you will be stripping all the old mounts & such off the chassis, fabbing a front crossmember and spring perch, making radiator & headlight mounts, putting together a axle/spring/spindle/brake/radius rod combo, making mounts for that, redoing brake lines, reconfiguring the steering, etc. etc.

I can see why you want to change it.

I'm with BED on this one. If you have the front fenders and grill, that would be the easiest. If you gotta have the axle stuck way out front, go for it, but like the Devil said, plan on a lot of work. Not trying to discourage you, but you need to do your homework before you tackle a front suspension and steering. A lot of things that need to be done right.

That said, your in the right spot for asking questions and getting help.

I'd pay attention to them....

they know the scoop on this stuff....as it appears you want to keep it open wheel...I'd take it step by step and keep them in your mind when you have a question....they are better versed than you or I on this stuff....

I'm sure they are. I'm definitely on the bottom of the totum pole when it comes to this..and I'll ask before I do for sure!!

Build a new frame. Keep driving it the way it is and build a new frame that positions the front axle where you want it. If you find sheet metal for it, I'll take that grill... :D

Living in NYC you are close to many many shows . Take your camera and note book and tape measure and go to as many shows as possible . Talk it up with the guys who own the trucks . These guys are usually very willing to talk , have a wealth of knowledge and many will have "parts" laying around that you might be able to use . In the mean time drive your truck and enjoy what you have - it looks pretty kool to me just as it is .

You could improve the looks of it as is, if you would pull the grill back as far as possible, lower it some, and relocate the shocks!! If you had the engine, and grill back as far as possible, might look pretty good!!
In my opinion the grill doesn't look right with what you have!
You can put any type front end under it you want, but none of them wil be easy!
My advice would be to look around on this site and find a style that you like and try and copy it!
What I believe would look the best is a quarter eliptical set up, but it wouldn't be easy!!

Latest posts

Back