another spring behind question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShovelHeadShawn

ok, i want to run a spring behind front end. what i have is a 38ish ford front end complete with the wishbone, a model a axle, new speedway vega box, spring pivots, shackles, and spring perch. some of my questions are, can i do a cross stear with a spring behind? how do i get the drag link our front or can i leave it behind the axle and use split wishbones? is it safe to put the spring pivots on the split wishbones? should i use the model a axle with the brakes off the 38 or should i use the 38 axle? and if anyone has a front end picture they would like to share, those always help

OK I'll try to start. Cross steer with a spring behind can be done, but it is tricky and even then not an ideal setup.

I think in your second question you are referring to a tie rod, not a drag link. The tie rod connects the spindles to each other, the drag link connects the steer side spindle to the steering box. So yes - the tie rod can be moved out front, but without modifying the steering arms it throws off the ackerman angle. Not the biggest deal in the world, but it also looks ugly IMO and isn't very safe. Keep it behind the axle if at all possible.

Yes, you can put spring pivots on split wishbones if they are properly gusseted and set the correct distance apart for the spring being used.

Finally, if the axle you have is a all-stock '38 you will NOT be able to use the brakes because they are mechanical. You DO need the '38 spindles however. With those you can use either the '38 axle or the Model A axle, depending on which you like best. As far as brakes go, if you want original Ford hydraulics you can use '39-'48 drums, hubs and backing plates or you can use any number of disc brake kits available for the '37-'48 Ford spindles. You can also use F-1 or early F-100 brakes with the proper bearings, but that starts to get a little more involved.

Hope this info helps you out...

thanks for the info. the axle i have must be 39 up because it has juice brakes and round backs. the spring length is one thing i am worried about trying to figure out.

so you are saying it would be a good idea to trash the cross stear idea and maby get a corvair box or something similar, keep the tie rod behind the axle, and the drag link parallel to the frame

It could be a '38 axle that someone retrofitted with juice brakes years ago. Roundback spindles were used from '37-'41. They will work great for you. Hydraulic brakes from '39-'41 are slightly different than the ones used from '42-'48, but they will interchange on the spindles. Spring length is easy. Here's a chart to help you out -

SpeedyTip_Springs.jpg

If you are stuck on doing a spring behind, then yes it would be best to use a Corvair, Mustang, F-1 or similar style "traditional" steering setup with a push-pull drag link.

do you think it would be a good idea to just do a spring over and cross steering since i have the new box and it is simpler to set up? i am open to changing the plan.

thanks a ton fore the spring information, i have lost alot of sleep worrying about that.

go with spring behind and cowl steering. I looks better and is easier to deal with. Also don't forget dodge truck steerbox will also work and they are aluminum.

Latest posts

Back