any body runin rocket valve covers?????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geneo4116

any body runnin these rocket covers with sbc adapters,if so do have any pics,of the pcv valve you used,and what you did to cut loom for pcv,any tech tips,and pics would be great,thank you:confused:

Attachments

• cd_1.jpg
    cd_1.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 44
  • cf_1.jpg
    cf_1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 43
You may have to use an intake manifold with the filler/breather in the front. You will need a way to put oil in it to. PC valve isn't necessary but you need some crankcase breather.

Not to be negative, but why does anyone do this at all? :confused: Every time I see Olds valve covers on a sbc I lose a little respect for the car itself. Like someone would actually be fooled. If you want an Olds engine, put one in it.

I just saw a nice little 32 pickup where the owner went to all this trouble to cut up and weld Thunderbird valve covers to fit his sbc. It just made the car a fake IMO.

I know it's his car and he can do what he wants, etc etc, but fake is fake and most real rodders just snicker at this stuff.

Don

just want to make the sbc look a little different,really like the look of the olds valve covers,proablly gonna have a sticker made that says 1927 chrysler for them,thats the year of my car,hot rodding was always taking other parts from other cars that you like and making them work on yours,it not that its fake its kina like that johnny cash song its a 59 58 61 32 67 56 45 automobile ya know something like that, if i want a numbers matching car ill but a superbird and never drive it, { not interested}

Not to be negative, but why does anyone do this at all? :confused: Every time I see Olds valve covers on a sbc I lose a little respect for the car itself. Like someone would actually be fooled. If you want an Olds engine, put one in it.

I just saw a nice little 32 pickup where the owner went to all this trouble to cut up and weld Thunderbird valve covers to fit his sbc. It just made the car a fake IMO.

I know it's his car and he can do what he wants, etc etc, but fake is fake and most real rodders just snicker at this stuff.

Don

THANK YOU DON!!! This is absolutely true and it needs to be said! [cl

There is nothing wrong with running a SBC, and there are PLENTY of dress-up options for it without resorting to forgery. It's really silly! Just run what ya brung and be proud of it.

It's kinda like a pretty girl that stuffs her bra. She would have been fine without it, but then the top comes off and it's just a big let-down... :D

That's the perfect description IMO, a forgery. I know everyone says build what you want, but we all want people who see our cars to admire them, otherwise we wouldn't build them at all. I've been standing next to one of these impostor sbc's at a show and have heard quite a few comments from others about how fake it is and how he really didn't need to do that to make the car cool. I rank Olds valve covers on a sbc right up there with dummy GMC blowers and fake quick change rear ends. No one is fooled.

This just reminded me of something. In the 50's J.C. Whitney used to sell a fake floorshift setup. It screwed to your floor and had a boot, shift handle, and knob. A guy I knew actually bought one and installed it in his 50 Plymouth. The funniest part was, he would have to shift the column shifter to actually shift gears, then play with the floor shifter, like he had a four speed. :D

Hummmm... I thought Don ran Olds valve covers?!?

You are right Bob, I do have a set of Olds valve covers on my one engine........but it is a 394 Olds. :D

Don

dansframeback2ndtime014.jpg

oldsenginepainted004.jpg

Last edited:
[QUOTE

It's kinda like a pretty girl that stuffs her bra. She would have been fine without it, but then the top comes off and it's just a big let-down... :D[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but she comes in handy if you have allergies.

Don

I hate to dogpile but I have always thought the same thing. I loose a lot of respect for a car with fake Olds valve covers on an sbc.
But then I find myself about to do (almost) the same thing. I have been unable to find finned covers for my 260 Ford that don't have oil fill holes and I am real tempted to make adapters to run a set of staggered hole sbc Cal Custom covers. Then I even thought I might slip a set of Chevrolet script covers on it just to mess with people and see if anyone notices it isn't a cheby. And after that I might put a 390 Ford engine into a 57 Chevy just to set the balance right in the universe.

so its okay to put a ford in a chevy,or chevy in a ford,or chevy wheels on a ford,or an automatic on the floor, you can put a 32 grill in a 29 thats okay right,if some ones runin a mustang 2 front end i get mad trying to pass that off as a mustang the nerve,its okay to do any thing that the car didnt come with,just dont put olds 350 valve covers on a chevy 350, but you can chop- cut- channel hack a car up do make it look cool,was just wanting some tech on this page,but if you get a chance post the rules of rat rodding i didnt know there was any,

I hate to dogpile but I have always thought the same thing. I loose a lot of respect for a car with fake Olds valve covers on an sbc.
But then I find myself about to do (almost) the same thing. I have been unable to find finned covers for my 260 Ford that don't have oil fill holes and I am real tempted to make adapters to run a set of staggered hole sbc Cal Custom covers. Then I even thought I might slip a set of Chevrolet script covers on it just to mess with people and see if anyone notices it isn't a cheby. And after that I might put a 390 Ford engine into a 57 Chevy just to set the balance right in the universe.

WB3, Edelbrock makes a really sharp set of finned covers that have no holes in them. I have a set on the sbf in my 27, they are tall enough to clear roller rockers, and I had to add a set of Moon breathers to them so I could vent the engine and add oil. (the lid comes off of the breather) The tallness of them makes the engine appear much bigger physically too.

Just thought these might help you out. About $ 200 from Speedway and the breathers are about $ 38.00 each from Moon.

Don

057.jpg

055.jpg

so its okay to put a ford in a chevy,or chevy in a ford,or chevy wheels on a ford,or an automatic on the floor, you can put a 32 grill in a 29 thats okay right,if some ones runin a mustang 2 front end i get mad trying to pass that off as a mustang the nerve,its okay to do any thing that the car didnt come with,just dont put olds 350 valve covers on a chevy 350, but you can chop- cut- channel hack a car up do make it look cool,was just wanting some tech on this page,but if you get a chance post the rules of rat rodding i didnt know there was any,

Look, we all have our opinions, and what I posted was simply my opinion on how I view these things when I see them on a car. Everything on a rod should have some point. The examples you mention do have some point, like the Deuce shell, they look good up there. But what is the point of trying to pass your sbc off as something it isn't? Anyone who knows a sparkplug from a tree knows immediately that it isn't an Olds, so why do it?

You want your car to be respected and admired by others, regardless of if it is a rat rod or a Grand National Roadster Show entry. The reason cars like Gastricks coupe are so admired and respected is because it has real components on it, like a real quickchange.

Sorry, but those are just my feelings about it. Don't get me started on those stupid crying baby dolls! :eek::D

Don

I am guilty of having a "fake" engine due to Lincoln covers on a small block in my coupe. They were there when aquired and I thought they looked a bit different than the run of the mill Chevy covers. It`s actually fun to watch the guys finally figure out the cover swap. Do what you want. Mine`s staying put until the Flathead takes its place. My name`s on the title so I get to pick.

Attachments

• 1930 coupe 003.jpg
    1930 coupe 003.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 25
It's all just personal opinions and tastes. I personally dislike faking it, like electronic efi hid inside Hilborn injectors, fake blowers, fake quick changes, anything to attempt to make it look like something it isn't. That isn't the same to me as a Duece grill on an A or an M2 front.

Thanks for the heqads up on the Edelbrock covers. My oil fill is in the timing cover and crankcase vent in the intake so I wanted to keep my engine clean.

You will love those Edelbrock valve covers, they are super high quality compared to the other brands we have on our other engines.

Sorry to ruffle feathers with the Olds valve cover thing. But when you get a bunch of hot rodders together you are going to get a lot of different opinions and feelings. Anytime we post something we open ourselves to comments, both positive and otherwise. I have had people suggest things I did should have been done differently, and sometimes I have made changes because of it. Other times I didn't. That's America for you. :):)

Don

You will love those Edelbrock valve covers, they are super high quality compared to the other brands we have on our other engines.

Sorry to ruffle feathers with the Olds valve cover thing. But when you get a bunch of hot rodders together you are going to get a lot of different opinions and feelings. Anytime we post something we open ourselves to comments, both positive and otherwise. I have had people suggest things I did should have been done differently, and sometimes I have made changes because of it. Other times I didn't. That's America for you. :):)

Don

Now if I could just find a set that are 30 years old and not so shiney, lol. I do like those. Had an old set for a Y block last year and ebayed them for $$$$

the reason for the valve covers is not to make it look like a olds,i just like the style they are just so vintage looking,and i like the wire looms they come with,i respect every one opinions on here, i built my car for me,not to win trophies,if no one likes it thats kool, but the reason for this thread was to get some tech on these covers, but the dealer sent me directions and part numbers i needed so thanks to every one,god bless

rules

I could not have said it better. I thought there were no rules. That what makes it fun and interesting!My 41 chevy has a 65 falcon wiring harness and steering column and olds wheels and a glass door knob for the shift knob. I guess some find it an adoration!!!!!!!!!!!.

Latest posts

Back