any body runin rocket valve covers?????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its all good

I too like the looks of the olds covers far better.... even more so when there on an olds engene,, sseverall years ago I was heavy into fabbinging up adaptor plates to put hemi, and bbc valve covers, on both sbc/ and sbf, .... like don says though... I wasnt foolin ..Anybody ( and at the time thats what i was trying to do) I just recently ran accros a set of these adapters, and realized how rediculous they were.... havent used them in ...years...... nor have I put shackles on the leaf springs of an otherewise perfectly good car, OR fender flares...... maybe Im just evolving into an old fart that likes em clean n simple, these days but for whatever reason , mine tend to NOT have Anything on em that is Fake or Un functional...... un PRACTICAL ? maybe . ..Sammy

Yeah, it's a chevy but these are cool............

Attachments

• 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 27
I could maybe see if you were trying to con someone into thinking it was actually an olds motor. Unless you do the olds rocket on covers, they are just that, valve covers. Unless you got some original olds covers, well then they ain't even olds covers. Just like all the aluminum finned covers, why the fins? Back when they first started making em it was to copy the look of the flathead aluminum finned heads. Of course wasn't ment to fool anybody. Ain't nothing that looks bette than a decked out flattie. I too like the way they loomed the plug wires across those covers. I didn't want stamped steel covers, but I liked the look. Made me some looms out of aluminum bar stock to bolt on top of my finned sbc covers. And right below my NON Functional 6V Blower. A Fake!!!!! I am not trying to fool anybody. There ain't no blower drive, it is functional, and a horsepower booster as it is being used, a 7" carb spacer. It has purpose, it looks cool and you would have to be an idiot to think it's blown, as there is no drive or belt. But as you probably already know, opinions are like exhaust ports, they all have more than one. Do what you want and FFFFFFFF the rest. I did like your rebuttal though. All those fakers. I could find as many guys that would admonish all of them and us for destroying these classic cars.[ddd[ddd[ddd[ddd[ddd[cl

hey hey hey!! has this place become the hamb? whats goin on here? dont run a chevy in ya ford!!!! ford tuff chevy stuffed? lets not start doin to others what has been done on the hamb and killet billet and ruffrodders!! be safe build safe have a good time!! easy guys!

Rev is right.
Besides, hotrodding was spawned from guys wanting to emulate real race cars. And as such that would make a lot of the stuff we think of as traditional kinda fakey. How about a chopped top? That was first done to reduce frontal area on cars running the lake beds. Now we just do it for looks and make sacrifices to comfort for the "look" Same with removing fenders, lake pipes ect. A lot of the stuff we just do for looks actually had a purpose at one time.
Also to comment on finned valve covers. Finned covers were race stuff designed to help disapate heat. It might have started on a flatty buy serves the same puropse on an ohv, but then we just do it for looks mostly now.

well everybody has opinions,but i would never call someones car a fake, also would never tell any one else what to do,,except my kids, like my mom told me if you cant say something nice well u know the rest,when i started this thread i was trying to get some tech on these covers didnt work,but im pretty easy goin, appreciate all the responses, this site is really awesome have learned a lot,im 49yrs been hot rodding since i was 16,first car 65 mustang fastback 800.00 GOD BLESS

It wasn't all that many years ago, if you were driving a hot rod, or later years mussle car you were hasseled by police. The few made it hard for the many. Now for the most part are tolerant, even fans of the older cars and the craftsmanship it took to creat them. Ergo "Live and let live." It erked me to say the least after reading several of the early posts. A fellow asked for a little tech advice, and I found it quite rude, at the least, for him to be pelted with negative opinions. Maybe if he had asked " thinking about running these valve covers what do you think?" We all put stuff on our rides, or style them because we think it looks cool. That's the point. Most of these things had a practical purpose in years past or present on race cars of all types. Most of us do not race these cars. We might make an ocasional pass down the strip or let her run out on an open strech of road, but most will not argue that our cars are race cars. They are styled after race cars, so in someones opinion they might be considered fake. Not to us. And this surely is taking the point to an extream end. But it could be considered true. Just like myself, running 2 2G's on an adaptor on a 4bbl manifold. Why, looks cool, vintage. You want better performance, horsepower, bolt on a good 4bbl. Why they didnt even make 2 X 2 manifolds for a SBC or SBF the only I know of were for the flatheads, bangers, and possibly some of the older OHV engines that were hot rodded in the 50's. But I have never seen one, alot of 3 X 2's 4 X 2's, and even 6 and 8 X 2's. So what I, and others that are doing the same thing, is no different than putting some neat old's valvecovers on a SBC. Somthing to think about I think. So live and let live. Least we not forget those good old days, that were not so good if you drove your hot rod on the street.:)

If you don't get It. I Can't Explain IT! [;)

Geneo, run what you want to run, its your car! I was wondering myself if we were heading off into pork territory!!!! We all build hotrods, rats, trucks and whatever because we like to do it, so everyone has an opinion and that's what makes the sport so much fun. Think if we all drove lookalike cars, we'd be the typical nerds who go to work and come home so we can do the same thing again tomorrow!!!BORING....My buddy put 383 emblems on his Barracuda when we were kid's, but the car only had a 273 in it! I never understood the logic, but it made him happy for people to think he had a big block. Who am I to say he's wrong..... Have fun and build it the way YOU like it, because you are the one driving it!!!!!my 2 cents....CR

Latest posts

Back