any GM technicians here?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrod preacher

"Official RRR Chaplain"
hate to admit that i need help, but i got my 2008 pontiac grand prix rebuilt (previous wreck) and it has a check engine lite on.......
local guy w/ scanner said it was code P0350 "ignition coil control circuit" but that is all i have to go on......
does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas to narrow it down .....(wiring checks - ohms readings or stuff like that?) i do know that a fuse was blown on tthe ignition circuit, and it would not start until it was replaced....but now it does run, just seems like it cranks longer than it should before starting....

any hel pwould be greatly appreciated---i hate to just start "throwing parts at it":eek:

HRP

I looked through mitchell on demand about this , it wouldn't let me cut and paste . The whole thing revolves around the blown fuse ,it had a power loss for over 9 seconds therefore setting the trouble code p0350 . perform your regular tests to find what blew the fuse , mashed wire , pinched or rubbing somewhere. That would be the first thing to do since repairs were recently made on the car . check all wires around the ignition coil packs and module. Hope this helps some , good luck .:)

Hi Preacher

New cars are funny, I get paid to work on them every day. Clear the code and see if comes back. Many times if you do the repair, the vehicle will still act funny or not run right until you clear the code. You may also have to to do a crank relearn on it. Not hard but you need a real scan tool, most little ones won't do the job.
Lightspeed Mike

Appreciate the comments!

thanks guys for taking the time to read this, and for taking time to reply as well......

i had the code cleared and it returned, checked all the wiring and it all SEEMS to be ok......i finally got thru to a local guy i know who works at a dealership and he offered to take a look at it for me--i hate to admit defeat, but right now i have a very limited amount of time and need to use it very wisely just to get the other priorities handled......

will let you know what we find....[P

and thanks again
HRP

hate to admit that i need help, but i got my 2008 pontiac grand prix rebuilt (previous wreck) and it has a check engine lite on.......
local guy w/ scanner said it was code P0350 "ignition coil control circuit" but that is all i have to go on......
does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas to narrow it down .....(wiring checks - ohms readings or stuff like that?) i do know that a fuse was blown on tthe ignition circuit, and it would not start until it was replaced....but now it does run, just seems like it cranks longer than it should before starting....

any hel pwould be greatly appreciated---i hate to just start "throwing parts at it":eek:

HRP

HRP, give me a p.m. in the morning or call me at the shop i will log on to my identafix, and walk you thru a flow tree. or i can fax you the copys for that code. george (shop) 419 865 5584.

wow DP, we just posted at the exact same time!........thanks may hafta take you up on that, but it may be a day or 2.......

appreciate the thought....
HRP

'bout to pull out my hair!

well time for an update on this situation.......
my local guy scanned it, (came up with same code as the first guy's scan) and did a few wire checks.....said the crank/cam pos. sensors were all in accordance to specs (?) and that about the only thing it could be was the ignition module itself.....
so i brought it home and being the cheapskate i am, bought a salvage yard module and installed it myself......the lite was still on, but the guy who did the first scan graciously scanned and cleared the code.......it stayed off for about 6-8 miles all the way home-but was back on the next day
well my wifey, (I gotta love her-God told me to) was in town the other day and slipped over to a dealer to have it scanned by them (she was really tryin to keep me from goin' nuts i think-it just didn't work) she told them about the lite, the module being replaced etc.---they had to make an appointment, but after their "expert" checked it out he said it needed a module @ $600est. cost, and guess what the code was---yep the SAME #@#$% code that we had started with P0350 ign. coil control circuit......i'd like to call them up to see if they'd like to make a little wager on the module fixing the problem....

anyway, i'm just ranting a little, hope not to offend REAL technicians, but lemme give everybody who works on cars for a living a lesson from someone who ran a bodyshop for 10 years---listen to the customer and actually try to help them--it'll build a business better than anything else

DP1 if that offer still stands i'm gonna take you up on it next week .....

well you havent touched any of my nervs i see this all the time , the way you were treated not the code . the reason the dealer told you the 600 dollar part was because they knew it would run you off , they dont want to work on things someone else has been fooling with . and they figured if you already had a used module on there you wouldnt pay 600 for theres , hence you would get mad and leave . what they dont realize is right now there sucking air in dealerships and there damn fools for not trying to actualy fix your car and make a honest repair . you ( might ) have turned into a regular customer if they made you happy .

did you check the ground for the module itself ?
did you check the wires at the start that power the ing. system on most 05-09 gm cars?
Also check the secondary ohms at the coil itself ?
I do not have the specs(wish I did)

Latest posts

Back