Any recommendations for a four banger?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toad

Considering building a lightweight car using an modern American four banger (not from a T or anything like that). Anyone?

Toad

I agree with the Iron Duke idea but they can be a little tough to find...even the later 80's versions are getting scarce. The quad fours kind of look like an old Offy motor, but a bit pricey for the adapters and ignition set up to go to a rear wheel drive, but just in case you are interested here's a link

http://quad4rods.com/

The Ecotec are good engines, but very expensive to convert to RWD unless you can get one out of a Solstice or Sky. Specifically the adapter plate to put a RWD transmission on are about $800 or $900.

The Ford engines from the 70's-80's are very popular for this kind of thing. Think Pinto, Mustang, etc. They're good little engines and can be dressed up to fool most people.

The Ecotec are good engines, but very expensive to convert to RWD unless you can get one out of a Solstice or Sky. Specifically the adapter plate to put a RWD transmission on are about $800 or $900.

The Ford engines from the 70's-80's are very popular for this kind of thing. Think Pinto, Mustang, etc. They're good little engines and can be dressed up to fool most people.

Oh yeah, the ford engines I mentioned were originally RWD too. Same thing soltz is referring to, I believe.

You could use any 4-banger out of an S-10 as well, they had different displacements depending on year.

ford 2000/2300, pontiac iron duke, also the s10, camero/firebird, jeep/eagle/dodge dakota used that duke motor. old toyota motors like the 22r or the older hemi 4 cylinders. all had rear wheel drive

Chevy 153 4 bangers are tuff little motors. I built a 37 chevy PU rat rod with one. Put a t-5 behind it with a Camaro rear axle. They have the same bellhousing pattern as a v-8 chevy so any chevy V-8 tranny will fit.

Ford turbocharged 2.3 liter 4 cyl. They're common, bulletproof and you can easily hit 300 hp with junkyard parts. Joe Morgan pushed 1200 hp outta one (but he wasn't using junkyard parts)! I have one in my Mustang, I have one in my daily driver '86 Thunderbird and I'm dropping one in my '27 Model T roadster. Here's a link......................................
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30757

They came in '83-'88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupes, '85-'89 Merkur XR4ti's, '83-'86 Mustang SVO's, some mid-80's Mercury Capris and some mid-80's Mercury Cougars. Check these sites.................
www.turboford.org
www.turbotbird.com

2.5 Jeep

I'm real fond of the 2.5 in my 2001 Wrangler. It is an AMC derivative of the Iron Duke with a regular distributor and could be carbureted. It's a push rod motor and looks real conventional except for the plastic valve cover.

Thanks guys for all the feedback, now that the weather's getting warmer I plan on hitting the junk yards asap!

Chevy 153 4 bangers are tuff little motors. I built a 37 chevy PU rat rod with one. Put a t-5 behind it with a Camaro rear axle. They have the same bellhousing pattern as a v-8 chevy so any chevy V-8 tranny will fit.

Nail, what kind of cars did these motors come in? I have a bunch of Chev auto trannys & that would make it easy!

Toad

Thanks guys for all the feedback, now that the weather's getting warmer I plan on hitting the junk yards asap!

Nail, what kind of cars did these motors come in? I have a bunch of Chev auto trannys & that would make it easy!

Toad

This link should answer your question:153 Chevy

Also, are you dead set on a four-cylinder? If not, you could go with a 194 or 230 6 cylinder? They are fairly plentiful, around here at least.

Latest posts

Back