Anyone else got "hillbilly" tools ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menace

Not trying to offend anyone when I say "hillbilly". In fact my family is from eastern Kentucky. I was getting ready to bend some sheetmetal this morning and just started laughing at my little bending station. :D
So, if anyone else has "rigged" tools, let's see 'em.

Attachments

• 54 dodge 013.jpg
    54 dodge 013.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 182
bein' from arkansas, i must admit i've got a shop full of hillbilly tools......
from a body-dolly made from a piece of railroad track, to a pipe-and-chain leverage tool (called a pogo stick), and an attachment for my floor jack made to hold a car door up so one man can bolt it on the car......well you get the idea...runs in the family (see thread "Ratrod sawmill")
maybe i'll get some pics tomorrow

Anybody that's worked on old car has had to make a "special" tool that served only one purpose but was invaluable. Call them hillbilly, farmer, redneck, or cowboy it's all American ingenuity. I was going to say Yankee but that really would have offended some of You All. :D;):p

Sorry Don, that's spelled "Y'all":D

unless you are from Pittsburgh,(yes six trophys) then it would be "Yinz guyz,n'at":D

Not mine, but a guy i know has a sheet metal roller made from a '79 Chevy truck steering wheel/column. Works pretty well.

For me, you really cant beat a BFH (3lb.+) and a sharp chizel. I've used steak knives in the shop before. Forks and spoons are a good source for stainless steel. What about the ole 2x4 prybar, that never works as well as intended:(

Anybody that's worked on old car has had to make a "special" tool that served only one purpose but was invaluable. Call them hillbilly, farmer, redneck, or cowboy it's all American ingenuity. I was going to say Yankee but that really would have offended some of You All. :D;):p
Yankee Ingenuity comes from their extensive spy network.............ROFL

I used to have a drawer full of wrenches that I heated, bent welded pieces onto, most were for a one time purpose and before I had the nice set of tools I own now.
My favorite brass drift is one I made 30 years ago by building up brass welding rod onto a piece of 1 inch cold rolled steel. And a couple of my very best heavy pin punches were dade from some old rock drill bits I found. Also the very best heavy prybar I have is one I made from a Ford pickup tierod. I have also made a couple and gave to young men I had the privilage to mentor in the shop.
In the kitchen I have 2 Ulu knives I made from skill saw blades. They don't take and edge very well but work great for slicing pizza.

lets see some plans

i like the stair tread sheet metal bender....i have seen plans for a homade English wheel on the "mr. tall pants" site..begins with a capitol H..anyway...any of ideas i would love to see

varaible speed grinder

I sometimes do not need 10 thousand rpm on my grinder...so i installed a dimmer switch in the cord...works great..also i have put the grinder in a vice to use it as a bench grinder.....

Latest posts

Back