Anyone ever use a Crosley motor?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
The reason I'm asking is... In the new Street Rodder they have a kool build like the Tinker's building using a '41 Ford hoof for the rear boat tail & fenders for the front end. They used a Crosley motor. I was gonna sell my Crosley's motor & frame but after seeing that article... I mite change my mind!

BoB

I think they use Crosley motors in those little clown cars at the circus...oops Sorry, you may actually be serious.!....Personally I would sell the motor and frame to someone that restores or collects Croslys and use the money to buy a blower for a big block that will make terrifying power and speed in a ratty coupe of some kind!!:D

44 cubic inches of pure unadulterated power

Picture012.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Isn't the engine block just brazed together tin?

They made two versions over the years, one brazed and one cast iron. I had two or maybe three Crosleys when I was a kid and one had the brazed engine that someone repaired with Black Magic body filler! :D There was at least one little dragster I remember from the early days that was built around a Crosley engine, supercharged I think. It only weighed like 600 lbs or something like that.

Don

Here is some food for thought Bob.............

http://www.crosleycars.com/speed_equipment.htm

Last edited:
Ck it!!!

Here's the Indy inspired car I was talkin' about. The article shows how to basically build the car out of other car parts & I've always loved these type of cars like the Tinker is building! Oh hell... another project!!!

BoB

Attachments

• Indy-roadster.jpg
    Indy-roadster.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Indy-Back.jpg
    Indy-Back.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 8
Mark Moriarity, who lives in the Minneapolis area recently built a trike with a Crosley engine. Mark has restored some of Ed Roth's creations and built a few of his own. He is a "bubble Top" enthusiast. His trike might have been a Roth idea, or maybe even started by him.
So, if you come up a wheel short, you can always build a trike.

Here's the Indy inspired car I was talkin' about. The article shows how to basically build the car out of other car parts & I've always loved these type of cars like the Tinker is building! Oh hell... another project!!!

BoB

I have that issue. That actually looks like it would be a fun project. I think I would skip the Kinmont brakes though.

I have that issue. That actually looks like it would be a fun project. I think I would skip the Kinmont brakes though.

Gastrick,
Yeah... it says "Budget Build" - $7,000 for Kinmont brakes, $2,500 for a Crosley motor & $2,250 for a quick-change rear end. They definitely have a different "budget" than I do!!! ; - >

BoB

I thought EVERYTHING was bigger in Texas Bob? :D

Don,
U're definitely right there but if I ever post that I'm buyin' a $7K brake system for a car... please have me committed *immediately*!!! Didn't think Crosley's had that much power! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

Latest posts

Back