Anyone ever use a remote coolant pump?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel2020

I am planning a Rat rod pickup. Lets say the radiator is mounted in the bed with an electric fan. The rig is powered by a inline six chevy. I wonder if the water pump will circulate the coolant good enough or is a remote pump required? Also I wonder if there is a good 12 volt coolant pump that is also affordable..I just checked out Summit racing and have sticker shock. Soo... anyone done this or know the basics of what to do in this case?[P

This sort of pump will work for heater hose diameter.. I was thinking radiator sized fittings that would take a radiator dismeter type hose clamped to it.

I had a 27 T with the radiator in the rear, used a stock pump and ran the coolant through the frame rails, worked good but the frame got toasty.
The Jabsco water puppy is 12V for 1/2 hose, I have never seen a pump with 1 1/2 hose except those units you already mentioned.

I am thinking two of those 1/2 inch in/out pumps should work well. One return low near the engine and pumping into the engine/. and one nearer the radiator feeding into the radiator.

As Blu said, I think it would work without a prob..

I had a 27 T with the radiator in the rear, used a stock pump and ran the coolant through the frame rails, worked good but the frame got toasty.
The Jabsco water puppy is 12V for 1/2 hose, I have never seen a pump with 1 1/2 hose except those units you already mentioned.

If the coolant level is full and the lines purged of air, I can't see what difference the lenght of the lines/hose would make....I would think the system pressure and such would have it work as if it was mounted in front of the motor....not sure distance plays as big a part as you might think....with Blu's set up, heck the lines running thru the frame would be cooling it to and from the motor before it even got back to the radiator....hence the heat transfer thru the frame....my opinion is the mechanical pump would work....but again...never tried it....

Your stock pump should be fine. Plenty have used them. Just make sure your pressure release it at the highest point so that if it ever has to do its job it's blowing steam and not anti freeze.

If the coolant level is full and the lines purged of air, I can't see what difference the lenght of the lines/hose would make....I would think the system pressure and such would have it work as if it was mounted in front of the motor....not sure distance plays as big a part as you might think....with Blu's set up, heck the lines running thru the frame would be cooling it to and from the motor before it even got back to the radiator....hence the heat transfer thru the frame....my opinion is the mechanical pump would work....but again...never tried it....

the frame rails were the lines, must have been 10-15 gallons of water/coolant(can't remember) in the system.

Thought you meant the lines ran thru the frame....

So I am assuming that it was a tube frame......cool....was it a challenge to get it all sealed tight?? Seems like it would be a ton of work....but cool none the less....

rectangular tube 2x3 and yes it was to ensure no blockage in the z's. I had to add 1 1/2" outlet/inlets. Radiator had three 12" fans and trunk had several hundred louvers.
Thought I had a pic on this computer or one of my thumb drive but I haven't scanned it yet.
It did get a lot of looks when all they saw behind the louvered grill insert was a small trans cooler!

Found a couple of pics

Attachments

• user54754_pic270576_1299245739.jpg
    user54754_pic270576_1299245739.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 7
  • user54754_pic274400_1300290289.jpg
    user54754_pic274400_1300290289.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 11
with the radical z in the front I would have been limited to a very small radiator.(I limited my hood length) I refuse to see green water coming out of my car in the traffic jams we call rod runs/car shows?

Latest posts

Back