Anyone prefer a taller ride height?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilJohnson

Maybe this goes back to the days when I used to be into 4x4s but I am not a big fan of lowered vehicles. I'll admit there are a lot of cars that look cool lowered but for myself tall is where it's at :) I have a 53 210, part of my liking the car is because it isn't stupid low. I have a couple of early 50s Mopars and I've been trying to figure out a way of raising them at least a few inches.

I find myself straying off the beaten path not to mention some of the roads around here get sorta rough during spring thaw. A lowered car just isn't any fun when it is stuck in the middle of the road.

The other thing is while I like my cars to sit up high I don't care for the gasser/street freak look. Nothing wrong with those two styles it just isn't my cup of tea. To me a good ride height is where I can change the oil without having to jack up the car. I like the rear a little higher up than the front for a slight rake plus a rake also helps when one has to haul something heavy :D

I do..

Depends on the car/truck I guess tho. I don't like the slammed to the ground look, but do like the front end lowered some. But being a child of the 60's 70's, I remember our cars back then always took on the classic funny car look with the front normal to lower a bit, and the rear way up in the air. I also love the "gasser" look too on certain body styles. But I do tend to lean torward a higher ride height normally.

Also. With the back up higher, it is more economical on fuel consumption because you are always going down hill <grin>

Low low low

NOPE not me!
I like em low low low!
Dont care for the gasser look at all ! But a little lower in front with a rake is cool! Just thought I'd be the mixer-upper in this thread :):eek:

Attachments

• my sedan.jpg
    my sedan.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 27
Depends on the car, but in general dont like the really slammed look. I do like the gassers a lot.When I first got my Model A and was looking at the builds,I did like the lowered ones quite a bit, but now after looking at stuff more I am starting to really like some of the more Traditional Hot Rods (OH NO,I hope I am not going over to the other side or should I say site) that are not as low.

I like anything with wheels....so I like'm all:eek::eek: Like others have said it depends on the car but I could be happy with say, a Model A at any height from Mr. Gussett's to a nose in the air Gasser. Same goes for a Tri-5 Chevy, I like Continental kits dragging the pavement and I love ladder barred '57 Gassers with no grille[cl[cl And in my opinion you can't go wrong with a lowered nose and the butt in the air a little..........especially on full fendered cars. That's the look I'll be after with my Willys.........of course it used to be a 4X4 so even with the butt up it will still be lower than it was originally:D.
That being said, I think what is most important to ME is proportions whether the car be low or high. When I look at a car and say "now that looks good" it usually has little to do with height.......just proportions.
Also as others have said you gotta build for yourself and not others and on that note if you build something uncomfortable to drive and find that you leave it home half the time because you don't feel like crawling in and out of it then what good does that do to promote the hobby? Build it your way and "Drive the wheels off it!"

yep. My life long preferences probably have allot to do with myself being 6'5" and a big guy.. I have driven cars that I had to "put on" like a cheap suit rather than sitting in them, and they are not fun to drive that way for me. I just don't like the feel that I am "wearing" my cars. But, that's just me..

gassers

I'm not one for the nose bleed gasser look either.
I sat in a stingray once and felt like it was time to either keep looking at the headliner and take a nap or look down my nose at the world.

I'm a predator. I look at the world with a steelie gaze focused over the top of my glasses beneath my rumpled brow...not down my nose

I am annoyed by anything in my field of vision higher than the dash.
I even hate pickup tool boxes when I'm trying to back up.
I'd rather see what I'm doing moving the car not hearing what I'm doing...
I hate car ramps and I like being able to pull over and crawl under my ride at any time (for fixing not because I'm scared or anything).

One of my projects is a 63 buick skylark. i want to raise it about 6" over stock and run solid axles but I want a bit of rake. I don't want the nose in the air..
1 reason why...I don't like it
2nd reason why... it isn't rational, there isn't a technical purpose to it... there was back when tires sucked but with good chassis design throwing the nose up is just for show.

It's related to why I like pontiacs...
I never knew why. it was just something about them.
i think its something like an iron hammer in a velvet glove or something like that. John Delorean was a pontiac guy and (I'm paraphrasing) the way he put it..."Pontiac represents superior performance delivered in a modest package."

In my words... Not your grandpa's car... not a kids car. a conservative comfortable ride that will lay low yet beat the snot out of anything that steps up making a show and talking big.
sleepers have a classiness all their own
Pontiac style for me is like "I don't have to tell you what I got...because everyone who needs to know... already knows..."

Lowriders... I like em. and I like looking at em
I dont like scraping over stuff and ripping off metal so i probably wouldn't build one unless I could run with it up and let it sit low when parked

i just depends on the vehicle

i like jacked up 4x4s, i like the old gassers hell i like anything that i dont have to pedal or walk behind. when i rode motorcycles i built choppers, rigid frames seats knee high of the ground and a minimum of at least 8 inch over front end. my truck is a 97 dodge with 35" tall tires and a big block 440. my hot rod is a 49 dodge pickup it is going to sit low. but still be practicable and of course loud and fast. but if we all liked the same thing life would be boring each to there own. just remember my opinion is the right opinion just kidding. oh i dont like 22" spoke wheels on a montie carlo with spinners, just not my thing but the guy i seen driving it does so i say cool. just please dont park to close to my rod the ugly might rub off.

Being 53 and having knees that don't work like they used to, I need a higher stance for the truck and a more upright seating position. Thus, my truck sits higher and no top chop. Yet. I can chop the top some and may do that later.

Attachments

• rod3a.jpg
    rod3a.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 28
When I get into my wifes van I feel like Im falling into it and pulling myself up to get out. Much prefer my old truck. The seat is right at my knee so I just kinda slide in. My old 47 is going to get raised up a bit mostly in the back to level it. When the p.o. put the body on the chassis he backyard fabbed some body mounts for the front but none for the rear.

Low in the front, high in the rear......make it look like it got kicked in the butt and forgot to drop back down. If I can't drive it everyday it ain't no good. Later Whit

Attachments

• 0701001828.jpg
    0701001828.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back