Anyone used POR 15 on their body?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungBlood

I have been wondering this for a couple of months, but now its getting to the time where my chop job will be done soon and it will be time to get some primer and paint. Of course rust has been an issue on this old tin, and I want to nip it in the ass for good.

Has anyone painted POR 15 (rust encapsulator) on before doing body filler and primer?

It seems to me that it would be a great way to ensure that the body doesn't take anymore assualt from the environment.

Or does anyone have any negative thoughts towards doing so?

YB

I second the ospho treatment for killing rust , also I have been using master series rust paint with good results , it covers better than por15 , but it is only available in silver.

I used por 15 on my dads 40 ford seems to work very well but don't get it where you don't want it. it does not come off of anything even hands, or in my case the end of my nose, it took about 6 days. not very funny.:mad:

Good stuff when you can find it!

I have used baby oil or some other personal lubes on her body :D:D

Most people I know that have used the Por 15 love it but it is costly to buy but that is just my cheap A$$ way! :)

Has anyone painted POR 15 (rust encapsulator) on before doing body filler and primer?

It seems to me that it would be a great way to ensure that the body doesn't take anymore assualt from the environment.

Or does anyone have any negative thoughts towards doing so?

YB[/QUOTE]

por-15

I wouldnt use it under body work, but as a base for applying undercoat to a body. I used "chassis saver" on my caprice under a layer of spray on rubberizer. I have used this with good success on my fourwheeler frame and my friend has used it on his bronco frame. It works well however it is prone to cracking and peeling over extended periods of time, and it isnt uv capable meaning you would have to paint or coat with another product to retain good uv quality. There is also a hardener to mix with such products to help the adhesion process. when cleaning your steel it is better to leave the surface slightly rough to get a better "stick" to the metal, if you are spraying the stuff it would be ok to have it somewhat cleaner as it goes on at about 3mil thickness. $31.00 dollars round here, have bought it for less years ago, as the price keeps rising. One quart did my entire body underside, rockers, firewall and trunk, and this was a brush on setup with 2 thin coats. I will also be doing the frame, and related supension parts. I think it works well.

Latest posts

Back