are fuel prices gonna kill peoples cruising and car show participation this year?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skull

''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''
l've been talking to sevaral of my friends and 90% of them are planning on cutting way back on cruising, the distance they drive to shows and the number of car shows they'll participate in .[S:confused:

one guy l know goes to oregon every summer for a show on the coast and he canceled it already, says he can't afford the high fuel prices, motel room and all the other expenses.

l wanted to go to some eastern washington shows and a few in oregon, but it seems those are wiped out too. l'm going to be staying a lot closer to home.:(

any one else changing plans due to STUPID fuel prices?:eek:

Later :cool:

Nope, I'm planning to head out from east Tennessee on the 30th driving our '63 Merc to the Viva Las Vegas show via Route 66 and then probably on out to Santa Monica (end of Route 66).

Not fur me, I be joining you somewhere this year Skull. And just think, the "long distance award" goes to the guy that drove 23 miles.

I will have to pick and choose the meets and crusing due to the amount of money it will cost me.
But I hope it does not last.

There is a guy here in the tri state area -MD DE PA -who calls around every Fri to let people know what's happening for the weekend . He just called me and in the course of our conversation told me most guys are saying they are gonna stay within 50 miles of " home " this year .
"

Nope, I'm planning to head out from east Tennessee on the 30th driving our '63 Merc to the Viva Las Vegas show via Route 66 and then probably on out to Santa Monica (end of Route 66).

We want to do that some time. Y'all be safe.

Will save a bunch since the race car is gone and not puling a 20ft enclosed trailer around. We will be traveling in the bug a bunch tho.
Tim

We are talking about billions of dollars diverted from the economy into the greedy oil companies pockets. More business closings, more foreclosures.
As more people buy fuel efficient vehicles the oil mob will just raise prices to compensate. I don't go far in the Model A anyway but the money paid for overpriced gas will come from purchases that would have went into the local economy.

I agree with oldmanb, I am still gonna cruise as much as possible.

For the long hauls, I will drive my daily 4 banger....of course I can't participate in the show, but I can still visit. I will make some breakfast burritos ahead of time and take my own drinks, to cut down on the restaraunt food as much as possible. Stay in cheaper hotels, than I normally would.

You see.....I think it's just a matter of time before this whole government run economy blows up, then we won't even be able to afford to drive across town.

So I will continue to enjoy what I can, as long as I can.

Cruise for spite!!!

Darned Government.....if they can't keep people in fear of war, it's global warming, now back to being afraid that Iranians and Israli's going to war and no oil....what a crock!! Fear, as long as they have the people in fear of something, they can maintain control of them.....if they can't find someting that's real, they make it up.....but that's another story....enjoy your rides...we'll all be dead on the 21st of December anyway!! LOL

snookie

yep, 12/21/12 it's the end of the world, the Mayans called, snookie, from jersey, is supposed to be having a baby and that is the end of the world as we know it.:eek::eek::eek:

Later :cool:

If I have a weekend off I will go and plan to drive my rat as much as poss. I have been putting too much off the last how many years, it is time to quit saying next time.

I learned a valuable lesson last year. Life is too short. Ill put off paying a bill on time if thats what it takes to be able to enjoy life! Have fun while you can

I don't get it. Unless you're driving a big RV that gets 4mpg, how much is it really going to cost??

Say your car only gets 10mpg and you drive it 500 miles round trip for a show. If gas cost an extra 1$ a gallon, that's 50$ more for that show. Even for a $3,000 rat rod, that's not a big enough deal to make me stay home.

For some guy that has sunk 40-50 grand into restoring or hot rodding a car, that would be a small amount cry about.

Doubt it will ,fuel in England is waayy more than expensive than what you pay and we still travel all over the country to go to shows ,smiles per mile my hotrod gives the best mpg of any car i would rather go without something else to put fuel in the car if it came down to it

I plan to pick and choose what we attend, but hey, its only money. I have very little to spend, but spend I will for the thrill of the trip.:cool:
ps bill collectors will have to get over it.

most is hype. say you drive 100 miles a week @ 16mpg. At $3.75/Gal it will cost yo $23.43 to do it. same distance and mileage @ $4/ gal will cost you $25. So for all the hype and whining it comes down too just $1.57 more to do the same thing you are already doing. I'm not staying home for a meer $1.57 how about you?[S

@ 10 Mpg it comes out to be a $2.50 difference for every 100 miles driven. So that 400 mile trip is $10 more. Lame if you stay home. Sell some of those old clothes you got and go!

Latest posts

Back