Are you loyal to any one brand of car??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Just wondering how many of you are die hard Ford, Chevy, etc fans and why you feel that way. I guess sometimes it comes from our childhood, our Dads had one brand or another and it rubbed off on us, or maybe we just got started owning one brand or another and stuck with it.

I guess I am a Ford fan above all others because I grew up playing with them in the '50's and 60's, but there have been times I have switched brand loyality and owned others including Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, Chevys, VW's and Toyotas. But I still end up gravitating back to Fords when I build most of my cars, and although I have shoved my share of small block Fords into other cars I have also done the same with Olds engines.

Not trying to stir up a Ford vs Chevy controversay, just would like to hear how you got involved with the ones you play with.

Don

Ford for about the same reasons you stated. My fathers old cars were always fords. My first Truck(69 Bronco)and Car(51 Sedan) were Fords.

We all have our own feelings on Performance or such,so I will leave that out.

I'm not really brand specific.....Wait, yes I am....

Pops raised me to be Chevy and always liked them, but when it comes to building a motor, I has to be Chebbie for me....."It's the only thing I've ever worked on", much less Put in Hotrods or Racecars...

I like the body line on some Fords, Mercs, Plymouth, Stude, and many many more, But like I said, would be a must to have a Chevy 1st gen V-8 in the engine bay.....

Just my .02

hey don i like them all,fords,chevys,mopars.olds,pontiacs....but the best is doner cars...like corvette's..lol so many high hp engine's:rolleyes:...i love my 1965 327 :D,,it fits well in my coupe...dave

Raised on Fords, my first was a '57 wagon with 312 T bird special engine.
Currently own a Buick LaCross for the wife, 89 Honda for me (I will drive it till the wheels fall off ).
As far as playing with engines, I've always enjoyed Chevy's, and the roadster has the Chevy 6 with goodies.
But still like messing with the stock flathead 4 engine in the '20 TT Ford truck.
These days, I think it has to do with playing with an engine that I can actually find under the hood.
(if there is a hood :rolleyes:)
I do not enjoy any part of working on the buried engine, computer based new stuff. :( '22

Depends. For daily drivers and reliability, its Toyota or Honda. For play cars, I'm most comfortable with Chevys, even though my Dad was a Ford fanatic. Since getting into rods, I like every type of motor except ford or chevy. Guess its the nostalgia thing. Nothings prettier than a dressed out nailhead or flathead.

My distaste of Fords grew from working on Clevelands in Mustangs and FE's in Thunderbirds. No room!!!

My dad was a GM guy even though he worked on anything that people brought to him. He built racing motors for a bunch of the local circle track guys...Fords and Chevys mostly, but again whatever the people wanted and were willing to pay for.
Because he was primarily a GM guy....that's what I am, except I like my Studebakers too. I've owned a heck of a lot of cars and trucks over the years...Fords and Mopars, but mostly Chevys or General Motors, but the Studebaker count is starting to grow and slowly catching up to the Gm's. Guess if I keep going at the rate I am, I might have owned as many Studebakers as GM products by the time I'm 125 years old :D

for me it depends on the age of the car. i only like fords that are from the mid 50's and older. muscle cars i like chevy's, olds, and mopars. modern cars the only brand i'd go into debt for is chrysler. trucks are trucks, brand doesnt matter. only foreign cars ive ever liked are air cooled vdubs. and of course the foreign bodies like anglias, topolinos and austins. as for drivelines for hot rods, oldsmobile, flatty,s chevies and weird stuff.

Last edited:
Raised on Fords and they were eaiser to work on for that reason. But You are talking to a guy who put a 292 Ford Y block in a 39 Chevy truck. Talk about starting a controversay! I like anything with wheels, and some other rides too.

Every brand has its good points and bad but I like Ford and Chryslers the most. I like to see cars that are less popular and I dont think Chevy made a car in the sixtys that isnt overdone. When I went somewhere in my 67 Polara, 66 Fury II or 68 Chrysler Newport the chances of parking next to another one were slim. Same goes for my Falcon, not many four doors out there getting loved so all the better in my book.
I dont like to feel this way and I know it will anger people but I am sick and tired of the SBC and everybody and their cousin trying to tell me its the "best engine ever".

Well I was desdtined to be a Ford nut as in my younger years all my dad had was old fords (learned how to drive in a 58 Ranchero) but one day dad decided to go circle track racing and dragged home a 66 Belvedere and from the second I heard the rumpity rump of that big block I WAS HOOKED..............Mopar from then on.

I'm not really loyal to any particular brand's bodies although I seem to gravitate to Early Fords. I use whatever body I like when I get an idea in my head. When it comes to engines, I like Chevys for a multitude of reasons. There are engines that I like better aesthetically, such as early hemi's, and although I wouldn't be opposed to using other engines, I prefer Chevy power.

Ive always been hard core chevy ,but i like hemi's and flates and olds and buicks and383's and 440's and and and ......
did i say hard core chevy??? oh well!
chevys are cheaper and easyer for me so i guess i'l stick to em but if i had some big play money i'd be dangerous !
I do hate 302 mustangs but i do have respect for em,bad is bad.
I will say i do get sick of seeing sbc every where though .
I will not own no foreign job eaither ,I dont care how good on gas or dependable they are but i dont drive a whole lot either though. :rolleyes:

Fords

I love Fords. My Model A has a 351W Ford engine. I drive a F250 Ford truck. I do have a 80 Vette and a 50 Chevy truck, but Ford is my 1st choice. Ive also got a Toyota, Subaru, and a Volvo, but I love Fords. I guess that I'm not so loyal that I only have Fords, but I am loyal on my motorcycles. Guess what brand I like. Harleyboy

Not super loyal to one brand. Tho, I lean heavily to Mopar stuff. Funny, as I was raised around Fords. As for engines, I try not to mix & match what I'm building. Tho, the sbc is the most common & least expensive to build. One day my Plymouth will have its Mo-Power.

not really die hard as far as projects go. I love everything and really seriously everything. I have a 91 geo metro convertible stripped down, doors welded shut, running 20 pounds of boost on the three cylinder.....stuck in my head until i let it out. On the flip side I want to build a 72 caddie sedan deville with a blown 560.....:D....someday.......

As far as daily drivers, I've found Volvo to be my die hard choice. I had to give up telling people how great they were because they would never listen. Thats too bad, meanwhile I'll be enjoying 25mpg at 80mph with full leather and premium sound. Not to mention it has as much power as my 80 vette in stock form lol :p.

Dad always had Dodges, I still like and drive them. My first car was a 1964 Dodge 330 sedan, 3 on the tree and 225 leaning tower of power! Oh yea, it had Dodge Bros. golden anniversary edition on the horn button, 1914 to 1964. Wish I still had it....grouchy

Im sure I will catch some flack for this, but my brand loyalty is to Toyota. I have owned at least 8 different ones and have never had anything bad to say about any of them. I had a Landcruiser with 381,000 miles on it. I sold it to a kid that put another 10,000 on it with NO MAINTENENCE. It finally blew up when the water pump gave out and he drove it 150 more miles.

My daily driver is an '87 Landcruiser with 217,000 on the original I6. My wife drives a '00 4Runner with 138,000 and I just put the first clutch in it.

That being said, my toy Landcruiser has a 400 SBC in it. Way more fun than the 135hp stock straight 6.

I have a Ford 390 PI and 9" in the garage that will be going in whatever I find to build when I graduate. Probably either a '40 Studebaker or a '60s Falcon.

Hodag

Latest posts

Back