Axel Photos

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this what you are thinking of?
The front of the spring pad is cut off.
This car is in the current issue of Rebel Rods mag.

Attachments

• Primer nationals 07 024 (Medium).jpg
    Primer nationals 07 024 (Medium).jpg
    102 KB · Views: 148
I am using early econoline, narrowed about 3" and Speedway rear hangers welded on.
Also notice the disc brakes. I used the original hub and knocked off the drum. A 96 crown vic copcar rotor fit right on ($26 new) Also I have the dirt car weld on brackets for GM calipers. Brackets $10 and calipers $24. They wont fit under those 14 inch Ranger rims. I might try and find a smaller rotor, maybe a Ranger or Aerostar 4x4.

Attachments

• 100_0273.jpg
    100_0273.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 100_0274.jpg
    100_0274.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 111
  • 100_0275.jpg
    100_0275.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 77
Hey willow, did you say that the diskz of a 96 crown vic fit the spindles of a late model ford van? thats cool. i have two of thos axles and was wondering what i was going to do with them.

Pablo

Hey willow, did you say that the diskz of a 96 crown vic fit the spindles of a late model ford van? thats cool. i have two of thos axles and was wondering what i was going to do with them.

Pablo
They fit the 60s Econoline axle with the 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern.
I am told the Eco. drums and some other brake parts are no longer available so I decided to can the drums.

Thanks for the pics. I guess you could just wack the center out and make it any width you want, as long as you have a real good welder put it back together. I had the chance to get a early chevy van axel, and was wondering what they might look like. Thanks again

Yes, I would weld it in the canter where the least stress is on it. Also if running split wishbones take into consideration there is torsional twist on the axle so the welding has to be pretty well thought out.

If you look at the thread of member's rides, the grey & red '27 roadster with the grandkids hanging around it has a Chevy van axle. It is narrowed 4 or 5 inches. I like tham because they have finned cas iron drums. The flat blach '31 A in the same thread has a narrowed Econoline axle but you can't tell by the picture.

Sorry, I don't have any other pics of the roadster front. I built it a few years ago, back in the disposable camera days. Didn't take many shots then.

12-1.jpg

This is a '67 Econoline axle in my '31 A tudoor. I narrowed it to a 46" kingpin to kingpin centerline distance; about the same as an early Ford axle. There is a Posies spring in front of the axle on home made mounts. The homemade batwings are 3/8" thick.

13.jpg

This shot shows the batwing welded to the axle and connected to the home made wishbone. You can see the tie rod coming out of the Geo rack & pinion steering. The spring had to go in front of the axle because the rack & pinion steering is mounted to the back of the axle. The bottom shock mount is in the original location. The car rides and steers well. I trim the original spring pads off the axle and spend quite a bit of time grinding and sanding the axle to give it a nice appearance.

Latest posts

Back