Axle opinions...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Crown

Hey fellas,

Been doing a lot of research and browsing for parts for the past while, and I've been focusing on front axles lately for the '32 plymouth.

Just curious if anyone has bought and used the speedway dropped semi-elliptical gasser axle (4" drop) kit. Or, if anyone knows a guy who knows a guy who's ran one of these setups?

I decided I want to try and keep a more traditional look, and stay away from hairpins, wishbones, etc. I'm not exactly sure I'll do the dropped kit, or just a straight axle yet, but I want a parallel leaf setup, that much I do know.

I tried doing a search here, but I couldn't find what I was after.

Here's the link for your viewing pleasure...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Dropp...r-Axle-Kit-Ford-Spindle-4-Inch-Drop,3338.html

And as always, your opinions are greatly appreciated.

-M.C

I agree, it looks pretty good. Nice that the perches are unwelded so you can set the width and caster before welding them on. It also uses early Ford spindles which is a plus.

Don

I ran a similar axle under a '53 Chevy P/U back in the '80s, I purchased it from Butche's Rod Shop (I still have the catalog). I was very happy with it. I ran the axle on top of the springs to get it lower and only had to give up a tight turning radius to the left... which was only a problem in parking lots.

I personally wouldn't cut and weld an axle..not saying it can't be done but just me personally.
Depending on the wheels you decide to use you could use offset to bring the wheels in closer.
I'd guess the original to be around 46" and the one from speedway is 48".

Don,

No fenders. I was more concerned about width in terms of proportion with the rear ( narrower front, slightly wider rear ). I'm hopefully making sense...?[S

I personally wouldn't cut and weld an axle..not saying it can't be done but just me personally.
Depending on the wheels you decide to use you could use offset to bring the wheels in closer.
I'd guess the original to be around 46" and the one from speedway is 48".

If the difference is only two inches, then I just made a mountain out of a mole hill...

Oh yeah, you will be fine with a 48 inch axle. The reason they came out with 46 inch aftermarket axles was to tuck the tires under fenders when you dropped the front way down.

I'm running a 50 inch wide axle on my rpu.

myrpumoontanktrialfit002.jpg

Don

Awesome cars, a wealth of knowledge...

You're the American Dr. Crank!!!

Much appreciated gentlemen. Hat's off to you guys.

P.S. the spotless shop floor you have there really makes mine look like a warzone. And mine's clean! Haha

I can't hold a candle to Don. Period.

Come down south for a beer sometime, Crown. You'll learn nothing except how to properly empty a can. :D

Crushing empty cans of Pilsner on my forehead and wearing watermelons on my head...

You have yourself a deal sir. Offer extends your way too, if you head west.

Latest posts

Back