Baaad news... For the truck.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rab71

Well, the weather was descent again today, I think it hit 40 or so... Great weather to put on the new carb and take the truck for a run. So that is exactly what i did.

I drove to my brothers place about 15 miles away. thing ran great the entire time better than it ever has actually. Pulled into my bros place an shut her down for a chat.

The typical hey that thing sounds sweet, and can't wait for summer hooplah.

Well i went to start the truck, and it fires up nice but I here knock, knock, knock, and it gets faster an slower as the motor revs. So I get out and we listen. It seemed to have gone away. Must have been the exhaust or my imagination.

Do you think I looked at my gauges?

Go leave and gotta' wait for a bit of traffic, finally I decide I am sick of waiting. So I pull out nice get er' straight and giver th gun. Picks up speed nice.

Then I have a nice quiet drive home. Well quiet as I can be with lake style headers.

I get home and go to clear more ice out of the drive before I park it so I leave it running. I get and KNOCK, KNOCK,KNOCK! WTF?

Then I check my oil pressure... 20psi and dropping...:( My heart just sank. So much for summer cruises...

So I finished clearing the ice and covered back up. It will sit now... Til' I can pull couple grand out of my a$$ to rebuild the motor.

Thanks for listening.

Rob

I am happy to say, I am a dumba$$!

You are not going to believe this...

You know the little cover that goes over the flexplate? Well the truck sits really low... I did hit some pretty good pumps on the way home and there... (Our roads suck here) Anyway, I must have dented the cover at some point because as the flexplate turned the bolt hit the cover and THAT is what was making the noise....

I am sorry for being a mellow dramatic bitch....:eek:

Thanks for being there for me. Funny... MY wife didnt get it at all... But you guys right away could understand. Way cool... WIsh I had friends like this near me. Thanks again.;)

Rob

That happened to me with a car a few years back...Thought it was a rod bearing, but it was a cracked flex plate. Still a pain in the butt to pull the transmission, but a whole lot cheaper then rebuilding the motor. Glad that your situation was wasn't even that bad.

i was reading this going that would so suck. and now im like thats funny cause i would have been ****ed, and flew off the handle.

Kool!

Rab,
Dude... glad that's all it was. I hate to have mech probs... a really sick feelin'!

BoB

Okay, I have got a good one for you guys. I was changing a motor out a few years back, and answered a guys ad in the paper for a "hear it run 350"
heard it run, bought it, came back a few days later, took it home, and put it in. Fired it up, and there was a loud knocking noise. At first, I thought I had been scammed. But on closer inspection, I had put a dent in the oil pan. I had used the old tire on the trailer method of hauling it home. And on the bad roads the bouncing had flattened a small area of the pan.
Now the good part. I was rushed for time on the project, and since it was my stuff, the quick fix was to weld a tab on the dent, and pull out the dent from the outside. Worked like a charm. Not really tech, but a good quick fix. I had heard about this fix from the 4x4 guys, but had never seen it done.

Bonehead that reminds me, I saw thet the oil pane was a tad dented as well, but I didnt hear any noise from there. I better check it more closely.;)Thanks!

Glad to hear its nothing major. I would be screwed. Its good to hear others have the same sh** happen to them...:D

I don't know... I forgot about that... It was at idle... What should it be at idle? I swear it used to be like 60psi well at least when it was cold to be honest I don't remmebr ever looking at it at idle when it was warm...

Would I have ticking lifters if I had too low of oil pressure?

skid plate

After reading the story i have decided that i am going to put a skid palte under my engine, thanks Rab.

Pablo

20psi at idle is ok. Pablo, after ripping a hole in my oil pan on my Fiat TWICE, I did put a skid plate on it. Once I went over a hump at a gas station where the underground gas tank filler was located and once it was on a speed bump. 3" of clearance isn't enough.

I agree with Bob that 20 lbs at idle when warm is not unusual for a stock older GM motor with more than 30K miles on it. Ive had at least a half dozen that included small blocks, pontiac, and an olds engine that all were like that. I think when cold they idled around or just over 40lbs and often showed a bit more when reving. For the smallblocks that Ive rebuilt, I usually use a mellings high volume but for some reason the last one I put in is giving me too much pressure as it pegs an 80lb gauge when cold and idles around 55-60when warm. I am afraid it will blow an oilfilter gasket but so far it has been okay. I ported the bearing cap on this one and I guess that wasnt necessary or maybe the journal tolerences are too tight, I cant recall what they were as its been more than a few years........

Latest posts

Back