Back in black!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

Back in the late 80's, I bought a 84 Ford F 150 4X4 Stepside, black in color. It was a great truck, I went through two engines and a transmission, but it was always willing to be a work horse. When I bought my 99 blue XLT Super Cab, I kept the 84 to use as a work truck around home. I wanted to keep the 99 in good shape as long as I could. Well, two teen aged boys did a number on the old 84, and in just a short time it went from work horse to a yard ornament. Instead of fixing it, I let it sit, too long. A guy came up with something else I wanted, so I traded it off after 15 years of ownership. It had given me great service, and I didn't miss it for a while, then I got the 99 stuck in the yard and I suddenly missed my 4X4.

My 99 Super Cab has also been a great truck. I logged close to 120,000 miles on it before it started giving problems. Sadly, it never was the truck the 84 was, mainly due to being a 2X4. It pulled some heavy loads, but never like the 351W in the 84. After 10 years of ownership, it was getting tired, so I started looking last fall for a replacement. I was shocked at the prices used trucks were bringing, most with way over 200,000 miles. I wasn't going to pay over $10,000 for a truck with more miles than my 99 had. So I waited. Had a couple of bites, but none worked out. Until now...

Traded old blue in on a 99 F 150 4X4 Stepside Friday! I know, Ford calls it a Flareside, stupid name if you ask me, I prefer Stepside as that is what it is. It has 75,000 less miles than old blue had, everything seems to be in good shape. 5.4 V8 in this one, my first 5.4, so with the 3.55 gears it should pull the trailer pretty good, it feels way more powerful than the 4.6 in old blue ever did. Just hope it doesn't go to spitting out spark plugs! And this one is a XLT Lariat, with power leather buckets.

I would have liked to move up a few model years, but this one has less miles and seems to have been well cared for, and the price was within my budget, so it was good deal I think. Got a small truck payment now for a while, but that's OK, I didn't blow the budget just to have a new ride. I'm just hoping it will last like my other two, if so, I should have this one another 10 years or so.

And I like the fact that it's black, just like my 84 was!

nice looking truck. hope you get lots happy miles out of it.

Ford used the name "FlareSide" because the name "StepSide" was copywrited by GM a million years ago.

just like when I was a kid, all refrigerators where refered to as "Fridgedaires" which was a copywrited name of a GE refridgerator.

while a descriptive term, step side (with small letters) can be used to describe any such pickup regardless of brand, only GM can sell a "StepSide" .

Keep the shiny side up, and the bugs off of your teeth.

Latest posts

Back