Bad deal on craigslist?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

international rat

Anybody ever had bad dealings on cl? I traded my 46 chevy to a guy a couple of months ago for a 31 model a sedan and I thought I came out pretty good on the deal, well at least until the other day! I decided I had more then enough projects so I listed it on cl for sale with pics. I got allot of calls on it but I was at work so I couldn't show it. Well this guy calls me and asked if I still had it and where I got it from (see where I'm going with this?) I tell him and then he proceeds to tell me its his and was stolen about 6 months ago! So needless to say he got his car back and I got hosed!! So beware of cl!

If there was no title how did he prove it was his? Can you put a claim against the guy that traded it for your 46?

I been see a lot of bikes with no titles on there lately, It make you wonder.

Last edited:
I can see that - never had anything older than my 48 so far. Not that it'll make things any better, but it wasn't CL's fault - the guy would have been a slimeball even if it woulda been through the local paper want ads.

Well, I'm sorry for you, but happy that the PO got his car back, that rarely happens. Also glad the scumbag got arrested. I've bought cars sans title too and we know we take a gamble every time. There is usually SOME reason the car has no title, and most likely it is registered to someone out there.

The upside here is that you didn't spend a lot of money building it and then have it taken. There have been stories of guys who restored a Mustang and a Vette and the same thing happened to them. Don't misunderstand my post, I really do feel bad for you in this scam.

Don

That's really a shame!:( So many crooks and scammers out there that it's truely scary. Sorry to hear about your loss.....CR

I have to wonder how the rightful owner proved it was his. Not that he shouldn't have gotten it back but it just seems there is something missing from this story. I bet you got a smoking deal too.

Not so much a CL problem as a "buyer beware" thing. Don't trust people you don't know anything about!

Yes you can not blame CL. I got some good deals on there.

Like I said before there are a lot of bikes on there with out titles. If I am interested in one I ask them for the Vin number so I can run it. About helf of them never get back to me after I ask that question. Wonder why.

I had an issue with a stolen bike in my shop. It was not mine, A customers bikes. But when they came for that bike They check all of the bikes and one had an issue that took me three month to straighten out. And I also had two open titles that one cost me.

Good luck and I hope you get your 46 back.

dont get me wrong im not at all saying its cl's fault! when you buy sell and trade as much as i do then your bound to run into a loser or two! as far as the po he has not got the sedan back yet its in the police impound he has not proven that the car belongs to him yet he claimed to have pics of it before it was stolen but now hes saying he threw them away! the guy i got it from had some other stolen property in his possesion as well which is why he was arrested, i think! its far from over with i will get the truck or my money back one way or another!

hate to hear the bad news.....

i think if the "rightful"(?) owner of the A get's to claim it then you would def. have the same right to your 46---if it can be located....

put up a few pics on all the forums you frequent and it might be a good idea to post this story and a pic of the 46 in an add on CL ........

i bet that 46 will turn up somewhere

once again, hate to hear of a rodder gettin scammed...:mad:

Latest posts

Back