Baking soda to flatten paint?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junk

I seen an episode of American restorations and they had a tech tip on adding baking soda to paint and it drys flat. No amounts or recipe's, anyone ever do this? He said it works on any paint.

Baby powder will flatten paint, but it will weaken some paints. Years ago my wife and I owned a sign business and we would flatten one shot lettering enamel if flat wasn't available in a certain color. To really flatten the paint you'll need quite a bit, like 1-2 tablespoons to a pint. If the finish is exposed to sunlight all the time the color will fade pretty fast. Lacquer thinner will also flatten enamel. Today when I need to flatten paint I use the manufacturers recommended flattening agent. This way I can be sure I'm getting some UV protection.

Doesn't baby powder have corn starch in it??

along with talc and other "filllers'...lol... but I get what you mean...I've always been leary of putting things into paint to make it do something else...my luck it would change the paint to "Passion Pink" !!! :eek:

along with talc and other "filllers'...lol... but I get what you mean...I've always been leary of putting things into paint to make it do something else...my luck it would change the paint to "Passion Pink" !!! :eek:
It would be normal in the dark or in the shade till you get in the sun, then it would change :eek: Like that Del Sol stuff [ddd

Latest posts

Back