Barn Find Wheels

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol Blue

An adjoining land owner bought a farmstead with plans of clearing and farming it. He put the word out to a friend of mine that we could take anything that was left behind we wanted so he wouldn't have to get rid of it.We found a few odds & ends to take home but my big score was a pair of these 15X8.5 aluminum slot wheels. I tried one on the rear of my truck today and they clear my bed sides fine so I'm going to have my tires swapped over to them and start looking for some to match for the front.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 36
BH is right, the lug nuts for those generally have a long snout that goes down into the wheel, almost as far as the thickness of the wheel in that area. If you run regular lug nuts the wheel doesn't register on the drum properly and will shake and/or come loose.

Most large wheel vendors carry a big assortment of lug nuts, you just have to find ones that have the proper thread for your drums and that are the right outside diameter to fit tightly into the holes in the wheels. Most large car swap meets have vendors who have bins of every lug nut made and if you find one of those you should be able to score the correct nuts and washers.

Don

Your local custom wheel/tire shop should be able to help you out. You're looking for "mag shank" style nuts.

I'd LOVE to find a set of those for my S-10. They're cool looking and would really whizz off the "bling" crowd.:D

Great score!:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

I happened to have a full set of "mag" lug nuts for a set of 200S American Racing wheels I got for another project and decided not to use. These 2 wheels have 15X8.5 cast in the back but no manufacturer name at all. I had a '70 Nova right after I got out of high school that I ran 14X7 aluminum slots on. The '65 Mustang I had before that I had chrome steel slots on it. I wish someone would bring them back. Nice looking and inexpensive.

I bought 2 quart jars and a box of those old lugnuts at an yard sale a couple weeks ago. It can cost upwards of $100 just to buy lugnuts for some swap meet wheels, now I got 'em
BTW, those look like Ansens I've had but also had some Mickey Thompsons a while back.

I have a set of wheels that look like that, but they have oval holes, use a steel multi-pattern adapter, and long tapered lug nuts with washers. The caps say "international" on the wide ones, and "Superior" on the fronts, but the design is identical. My problem is, I can't find any new lugnuts. A site on the net, I think it's Mr. Lugnut, claims to stock every nut known to man, but has none like these. I have nuts that fit Dodge, but I wanted to put them on a Chevy. No luck at all.
BTW, around here they are known generically as "Supermarket Mags".

Latest posts

Back