Barrett JAckson

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The show really gives us all a peek at how the other half lives, doesn't it? It must be something to have the means to spend those astronomical figures for a toy (that will probably never see pavement again in it's life).

I remember watching a program one time on homes in California that were selling for millions of dollars. They interviewed one real estate agent and he said " I always knew I was dealing with some wealthy people but it never hit home until one time we were doing a closing and the buyer had to pay $ 600,000.00 in closing costs. He handed me his American Express Card and the $ 600,000.00 went through like it was a $ 20 purchase!"

To me the strangest part is, what good are these cars because of being so valuable as to render them undrivable? What a total waste IMO. :confused: I liked the comment one announcer made when the subject came up about one car being too nice to ever drive again. He said Jay Leno has a philosophy on that...........He builds a car to 100 point specs, then drives it down to a 70 pointer. :) Way to go Jay!!

That act was nice by Ron Pratt, a lot of good will come from that purchase and his generous donation. :)

Don

Last edited:
Remember guys this wasn't just ANY Rat it is the Holy Grail of Rat Rods !! :) yes sir there ain't none better than that... $125,000.00..designed by the daddy of all customizers George Barris...i had guessed it to go for about $50,000.....the guy that bought it has a private collection of over 500 cars..Ron Pratt has bought many cars in the past at the auction..MEGA MEGA Wealthy...that's ok i'm happy with my 29 Pickup .can't wait till it gets here..have a nice weekend...:)

I was watching some old BH dvds and noticed the car changed some from one episode to the next. On some it had a windshield and the barrels and junk tied on then the barrels and the windshield would be gone, stuff like that. I never knew Barris built that car.

I was watching some old BH dvds and noticed the car changed some from one episode to the next. On some it had a windshield and the barrels and junk tied on then the barrels and the windshield would be gone, stuff like that. I never knew Barris built that car.

They were saying during the auction that there were 5 cars built and all of them were slightly different. They even mentioned that some had a windshield and some didn't.

I wonder if the others still exist?

Yes they said Baris built that particular one..as another poster stated there are 5 others..i do know that each life like manequin is about $4,000 to build.most likely they are from www.charactersunlimited.com which are so life like..the only ones better are in a wax museum.......i have watched the Barrett auctions for years and Pratt always spends mega bucks..his private collection has to be the best in the world by now..:)

Don't delete this post just because it mentions Jesse James, please!!!

.... but I got a kick out of the announcers. When the Monster Garage cars first started across the stage they (the announcers) were very optimistic.

Stated while the milk truck was up: "Well this is the latest trend with the rat rod and traditional crowd. You put the paint on with a roller or brush to get that thick, velvety effect that is so popular."
"Yes, these are one-offs. That means there's only one like them.... ANYWHERE!"

Then after the Peterbuilt trike caused a pretty big stir and there seemed like a little hope, but the prices fell off to the point that when the Lawn-mower Mustang rolled on the stage Mike Joy was saying "You really have to see this paint job in person. It looks like it was put on with a roller or brush...it's just soooo thick." The same announcer from earlier says "Yes, these are one-offs. That means there's only one like it ..... and hopefully nobody will EVER build another one!!!"

Sounded like they didn't get what they'd hoped for from the Monster Garage left-overs.:rolleyes:

I think these guys are so used to seeing 100 point concours perfect paint jobs that when a Rat Rod comes across they are lost for words..ALOT of those cars are so perfect that they look like jewelry.they have to be stored in climate controlled perfect settings..they had a 1958 Corvette go for $220,000.00 !!!! that is really cheap compared to some cars...i am happy for any car enthusiest but i want to be comfortable with driving and enjoying my vehicles...i would love to see Ron Pratt's collection even if it were on tv....

Latest posts

Back