Battery size question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakota

Rides a rusted horse
I've got a brand new 680 amp battery sitting on a shelf. I'm going run a 12 foot #2 cable from the battery to the starter. Do I need to go out and spend more money on a 1,000 amp battery just because of the cable, or will the 680 amp do the job?

You should be fine unless you leave it outside for a week in 30 below weather with 40 wt. oil in it. Oh, wait, you're in Texas.

Lakota,
Don't think it should be a problem, just make sure you have a good ground.

ISore

So there should be a ground cable that comes from the cranking battery directly to the accessory battery? Thanks for your help with this

Not sure what you mean by "accessory battery." Generally a car only has one battery unless you are running high load items like lots of amps or air bags.

Don

That will probably work fine. General rule of thumb is 2 cranking amps for every cubic inch of engine size. So a 350 would take 700 amps. A 500 Caddy would need 1000 amps. Just make sure all of the connections are good an clean. Also make sure that the engine and the frame have a ground wire running between them.

A friend of mine just built a T Bucket with the battery under the seat. He ran the ground to the trans tail shaft bolt. The engine ran fine, but none of the lights would work. He had to run a jumper from the engine to the frame and all was well.

Latest posts

Back