Battery suggestions? smaller style dry cell or agm...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtyrat

Got Fins?
I'm starting to look for a battery, and I want one that is lighter and smaller than the old lead/acid variety... I'm looking at Odyssey, Optima, and the like, but I'm not sure what I really need, I know factory spec is 650CCA, but I don't plan on really driving the rat when its 0 degrees out.

I want to mount the battery on its side in a recess in the firewall...

What have been your experiences with these types of batteries?[S[S

DR,
I tried an Odyssey but didn't think it had enough power for my BB Nailhead. It seemed ok when there was no prob but it there was a small drain & the battery got run down a lil... I was concerned I'd get stuck somewhere. Also used to run Optima's but if they run down... they take a long time to recharge. Finally went back to the old style battery & never looked back. They may be big & bulky but feel safer using them but of course that's just my .02! I think Don uses Odyssey's & maybe he can weigh in on this!

BoB

I used an Optima on my blown small block 351 ford, worked great for me. cranked the engine, ran the a/c, power the door poppers, and the stereo plus all the usual lighting[cl

I watched a little of the first video, that is a neat idea but its hardly a new idea considering larger motors in the electrical world have also incorporated start up capacitors. Even your AC system at the house likely has a start up capacitor.

What is cool is that it looks like the capacitors here are the only source of power, I wonder how well it maintains a voltage level on a solid electrical load over time, probably not very well with a capacitor, but I could be wrong.

I watched a little of the first video, that is a neat idea but its hardly a new idea considering larger motors in the electrical world have also incorporated start up capacitors. Even your AC system at the house likely has a start up capacitor.

What is cool is that it looks like the capacitors here are the only source of power, I wonder how well it maintains a voltage level on a solid electrical load over time, probably not very well with a capacitor, but I could be wrong.

Watch the second video.

What's you thoughts on the issue that most lithium iron batteries are supposed to only have a max of 10 amps charging rate applied to them?

I've always used Optima and have only had one fail.
The fact that I had rolled the jeep it was in and fractured the case, had nothing to do with the failure. Really.

Never seen the battery you're looking at. Kinda pricey but hey if you need something smaller I'd try it.

I think you have to have a different kind of charger to charge those AGM batteries. I've never ran one, old style has always worked fine for me.

I think you have to have a different kind of charger to charge those AGM batteries. I've never ran one, old style has always worked fine for me.
That's what I'm talking about. The alternator puts out way more that 10 amps plus the different type of charger necessary fro the lithium battery.
Oh well :confused:

I have no personal experience with either. ( I run the old lead acid in everything.) For what it's worth, I know guys with Optimas in all sorts of applications and they seem happy with them.

What's you thoughts on the issue that most lithium iron batteries are supposed to only have a max of 10 amps charging rate applied to them?

I plucked this from Optima's specs for one of their Red Tops...

Recommended Charging Information

Alternator: 13.3 to 15.0 volts; no amperage limit.

Battery Charger: 13.8 to 15.0 volts; 10 amps maximum.

6-12 hours approximate Float Charge: 13.2 to 13.8 volts; 1 amp maximum current (indefinite time at lower voltages)

Rapid Recharge (Constant voltage charger): Maximum voltage 15.6 volts. No current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). Charge until current drops below 1 amp.

Recharge Time: (example assuming 100% discharge – 10.5 volts)
Current Approx. time to 90% charge 100 amps 35 minutes -50 amps 75 minutes - 25 amps 140 minutes.

I'm with ya on the optima batteries but, I'm referring to the lithium batteries.
I ran an Optima battery in my 65 Goat, for five years and loved it.

Tripper is right, I used an Oddysey (sp) PC680 in my 23 because I had no room for a conventional battery. It only measures 7 x 7 x 3 inches and in the 3 years I had the car it never failed to start the 350 Chevy motor, even if it sat for months. But I had NO accessories on the car, not even a stereo, so that might have been a factor.

When I bought the battery I didn't think something that small would start a V8 engine, so I made room to add a second one to the other side of the car, but never needed to install one.

Don

Thanks for the input guys, yea I don't like the price much but I wanted a smaller cleaner install.

I think the Optimas are pretty much normal size batteries from what I have seen...

I did look at the odysseys as well, there are a couple that look like they would fit the bill, but size wise they were a little larger on average size wise than the XS power ones... so still researching...

Now I'm starting to think realistically I might do a side post setup and recess it in the fire wall if I can find one small enough... That way I can get a regular battery, they are about 1/2 the price...

One thing to keep in mind if you go with an odd size battery... If you are on the road and have a failure will you be able to easily source a replacement to get back on the road?

Just something I was thinking about recently ...

One thing to keep in mind if you go with an odd size battery... If you are on the road and have a failure will you be able to easily source a replacement to get back on the road?

Just something I was thinking about recently ...

Indeed, something I decided was to use something common.
I'm probably picking up a group 75 side post battery tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back