Best place for a Hot Rod to live.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronRat

Where do you live? What makes it a Good/Bad place to own a hot Rod?

I'm in ChicagoLand.

The good side, large population of Car people from Racing to collector owners. Lot's of Custom & Specialty shops if you need a little help. Lot's a supply & raw material shops. More restaurants that are Hot Rod friendly that you could ever visit. Miles & Miles & Miles of Hwy. On any given summer night there are at least a dozen cruise nights going on. Over the last 20yrs our weather Is warm from April to Thanksgiving, only Excessively hot for a dozen days all summer.

On the bad side, some of the highest gas prices in the nation. Those miles of Hwy…are usually under construction. Kiss your car good bye Nov. 1st as that's when our cars go into hibernation. Forget vintage metal from a boneyard. Finding anything on a yard more than 5 y.o. is rare. More people means higher insurance rates. When it cold here it is insanely cold, ambient air to neg. teens, wind chills to neg 20+. Even with cars stored that can pose problems.

So where do you live?

South West Saskatchewan Canada in a Ghost town of 18 people:D Two highways that are always under repair, no car clubs, one parts store 9 miles away that charges double the big city, no wreckers for 70 miles. 4.5 months of mediocre weather, brutal winters, but we do have old farm sites full of of old steel just waiting to be found.:D Some times I do wish we hadn't move so far away from the big city, but not often.

south dakota is good
nice roads and pretty country
low prices
hardly any people
sensible laws
i have a 28,000 BTU heater in the love weasel
so unless its icy i drive anytime i want

first pic... I cruise this stretch every day going to work... never gets boring,, kayakers, people fishing in boats kayaks or just of the road,, have seen dolphins, seals and bikinis....

kaiteriteri beach ,, as above also has a fantastic mountain bike park .... about 1.5 hours cruise from home

St Arnaud ,, this a summer pic, imagine this in the winter snow to the shoreline, and roads often closed.... about 2 hrs cruise ... great for ski bunnies, hunting and epic trout fishing !

spring summer brings out many local car shows, and plenty just cruising round....

would do some pics next time im out....

Attachments

• rocksroadtree.jpg
    rocksroadtree.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 600x300-kaiteriteri-beach-image-library.jpg
    600x300-kaiteriteri-beach-image-library.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 25
Florida's west coast is kinda neat for cruising.........and you meet the nicest people here ! :D:D

(Yeah, it's an old picture, but I never get tired of looking at it. :cool:)

Don

Been here in Bama all my 56 years, visited 38 of the lower 48 at one time or another, but here is home. Summers can get hot, 95*+, winters get cold, 20*+, but usually any extremes only last a week or so. Spring and fall usually average 75* to 80* with lots of sun. Car season lasts from March to early December. Very little snow in winter, only lasts for a few days when it does. I live in a rural county, close to a small town that has 4 eating places, a bank, a grocery store, two gas stations, and a auto parts/hardware store. I'm 20 miles from a WalMart, and 35+ miles from any of the other box style stores.

I can drive my car just about all year, when I get heat and wipers I could go all year. Have several guys near me into old rides, but junk yards are all gone around here, only a few private collections. I have to go over to Birmingham, about 75 miles, to go to a pull a part. I do the most of my stuff mail order or eBay for that reason.

Only down side is the spring and fall tornado season. It can get downright scary at times. But everywhere has it's problems...

Out of sall the places I've been and lived, I think I like the Olympic penninsula the best. Summers and winters both very mild. 85 is a hot day in the summer and 30 is low in the winter. Ferry ride from the city and 45 minutes to the mountains and snow.
Right here in the Black Hills isn't bad, a little hot at it's hottest and even with our winters, lots of breaks in winter to get the roadster out. Plus there's lots of tin here. :D

Here in Minnesota we have bad roads, high taxes, 9 months of miserable weather and 3 months of mosquitos and ticks. You've got a 1 in 100 chance of smashing your hot rod into a deer. Our cities are filled with third world drivers that believe anarchy is the best policy.
On the other hand we probably have more special interest cars per capita of any state. Minnesota Street Rod Assn has 26,000 members. There's a dozen car events every summer weekend.
Lots of building time every winter.
I'm envious of Don and 23crate though.

AZ is okay, but brutal summers. Sooo, I hope to be moving away by the middle of next May if not sooner. Thinking southwestern Oregon away from the big city or somewhere mild with trees and rivers and mountain roads! Oh, and I'd make a great Kiwi too !!! :D

SoCal

What can i say that most of you don't know.
Lots of good weather, we did have a couple inches of snow last year, lot of car stuff in all directions.
If you don't count politics, high taxes, gas prices it's all i know and at 70 it's almost to late to change.
Been out of country a few years and half a dozen other states but seem to end back here [S New Zealand does look very nice, kind of like Florida without the humidity.
[cl[cl

I'm in the uncrowded section of Florida. Riding weather all year long. I don't have neighbors at all to worry about when building anything. Lot's of traffic on major roads but I avoid them anyway in favor of the back roads...mostly two lane, through various woods and forests. I was born in Orlando and have been fleeing the sprawl since 19. Found my personal paradise where I am now and don't figure on any more changes of location. I'm out aways from anything but 15-20 miles will put me in areas where you can find anything you need. I love to fish and have landed in Lake County now and I'll tell you guys, it's named accurately. Lakes and ponds everywhere and major rivers close by in several directions. I can't stand cold weather so I've found the best area for me. And good God, if you like bikini girls...jeesh, let the sun shine heheh!

so far in the past few years i have lived in
texas
new mexico
nebraska
ohio
califonia
colorado
and now south dakota
i think SD might be my favorite
no emissions or inspections
cheap gas
no cities (i detest them)
the roads are in great shape
huge motorcycle population per capita and to me they are kinda like hotrodders
BTW the second largest city in this state has a lower population than the so-called village we lived in in ohio

Best place for a Hot Rod to live
Is wrapped around me with my hind end planted in the drivers seat [ddd
We have some awesome roads around my neck of the woods.
Southwest Missouri has a vast network of roads winding through the hills (Ozark mountains) that are breath taking.
We don't have the beaches that I love but, there are several lakes with a lot of rivers and creeks.

I'm in the uncrowded section of Florida. Riding weather all year long. I don't have neighbors at all to worry about when building anything. Lot's of traffic on major roads but I avoid them anyway in favor of the back roads...mostly two lane, through various woods and forests. I was born in Orlando and have been fleeing the sprawl since 19. Found my personal paradise where I am now and don't figure on any more changes of location. I'm out aways from anything but 15-20 miles will put me in areas where you can find anything you need. I love to fish and have landed in Lake County now and I'll tell you guys, it's named accurately. Lakes and ponds everywhere and major rivers close by in several directions. I can't stand cold weather so I've found the best area for me. And good God, if you like bikini girls...jeesh, let the sun shine heheh!

Hey Small's, you had me at personal paradise..... but then.....bikini's?
I'm in......sorry to hack, but we are looking to find our personal paradise
in Fl also.. within next couple of years. still a lot of things to tie up
around here first, hate to give up my garage but need to down size...
if any of you guy's have + - info it would be very helpful. just send a
pm for contact info.....thanks!!!!!!
this is not a bad place to live, just tired of the cold weather.....

Latest posts

Back