Best way to chop a 34 ford

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckypots

Couple questions, I want to chop my cab 4" where is the best place to chop it because the top hinge on the door is close to being the center of the rear window. The other thing is the windshield post are tappered, hows the best way to make the post look unchoped. Thanks, Andy

Attachments

• 34 rolling 2 Jan.09.JPG
    34 rolling 2 Jan.09.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 34 ford rolling.JPG
    34 ford rolling.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
If you cut about 1" above the bottom of the windshield opening on the A-pillars you can remove the 4" there, then split the upper part of the A-pillar and spread it to match back up with the lower portion when you bring the top down. This is the easiest way I have found to do it on the '32-'34 cabs. On the rear just remove the 4" from the middle of the window section and bring it all back down. Work slowly, measure a LOT and brace the cab securely before you cut anything. Tack everything together first and re-measure again. Weld small areas at a time and move around. All simple things that mean a lot in this process. Get yourself a copy of Tex Smith's book "How To Chop Tops". It lays down the basics and is a must for every hot rodder's library. This is a fairly straight forward chop, so if you take your time it should work out nicely for you...

Good advice from the devil:eek:. Just because you remove material from the center of the rear doesn't mean that you have to remove material from the same place in the a pillars.

That will look sweet chopped. Please make sure to send me some pictures when it's finished! Thanks!

Hey Lucky,
Did you get to chopp'in yet? Just curious because I have the same cab and will be chopping mine soon. Would love to see some pictures of the process when you do yours.
Thanks,
BB

Latest posts

Back