Big Bertha

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alot of family time and too many projects leaves Bertha on the back burner most of the time. I did get a few hours in here and there to get some stuff done.

I drove the 49 down to the house and had my son Corey rip the bumpers and some chrome off so I could do a little work on her. I spent about an hour and got the right door welded up. Shaving the door handles.
001-12.jpg

003-13.jpg

005-11.jpg

008-8.jpg

I have been fixing a few small dents the 49 has. The rain is making it hard to do any mud work. The All Metal seems to have a tough time drying with all the moisture floating around. I got tired of waiting an hour and half to be able to sand it without gumming up the sand paper. I switch over to a light weight plastic filler and it seems to be working better. I have the right door handles done. next comes some primer on the filler and start the block sanding to clean up the lines some.

The hump for the rear rocker is waisted on both sides. The right side was cut out.
010-9.jpg

I wasn't sure what to think of the body work that was done to the rockers before I got it.
014-9.jpg

013-10.jpg

012-10.jpg

011-10.jpg

No wonder why they never bothered sanding their Bondo down. They used news paper and their sand paper for a filler to spread the Bondo on. :eek:
009-11.jpg

Hump is welded and roughed in. I didn't do any mud work to it yet. I still have to replace the forward rocker.
017-8.jpg

I used a couple guns full of primer and blocked the right side out. I found a couple dents I didn't know was there untill I started blocking it. It still needs a little more TLC but it will do for now.
The back of this car will sit really low. I like fender skirts to give it a really low look too. Problem is that the stock skirts sit hi. Most people add to the bottom to make them flush with the bottom of the 1/4's. Another way is a set of cruiser skirts which don't only cover the wheel they roll back on the 1/4. I love the cruiser skirt looks but they don't make them for 4 doors. The rear door is in the way. What to do??

I started out by making a template.
019-8.jpg

I used a couple screws and drilled them into the 1/4 to hold them in place while I shaped the metal.
023-8.jpg

026-11.jpg

027-7.jpg

I routed out a wood 2X4 to make a buck. A little hammer work with the metal over the 2X4 and I had the lower lip.
024-9.jpg

The forward most part of the skirt was hammered and dollied around the inside of the door. It will be used as one of the mounting points for the skirts since once the door is closed you won't be able to see it.

Pic shows the marks of a few draws on the English wheel to get a shape started. This is something that was time consuming. Taking the skirt on and off maybe 20 times to get the right shape.

022-8.jpg

I used a number of ways to beat the metal the way it needed to go. The bracing in the back was spot welded on. It helped to firm the whole thing up and help with mounting.
029-7.jpg

030-9.jpg

The screw holes I used to hold the metal in place was welded shut. A stud was welded to the back of the sheet metal for a mounting mount. That was fun to do.
A little All Metal in a few place. Most of this was sanded off.
033-8.jpg

I want a really smooth looks so the entires skirt was covered with a thin coat of glaze and then blocked out. HOURS of sanding. yuck!
036-8.jpg

One down one to go. Hopefully it will take me less than 3 days now that I pretty much know how it needs to be shaped.
The rims are going to get changed. When the car is done it will only show about an inch on the rim if that. Tires will be wide white walls and will be running Chrysler caps. Not sure on the rear since you won't be seeing them anyway.
Another change is the shave job. I made the key way hole to pop the door open on the other side. I like the idea but I'm changing it. I have never used the key since I did it. I always go through the cozy wing to get in if the windows are up. So all 4 doors with get the smooth treatment.

Latest posts

Back