Big Block Chevy questions- rectangle or oval port?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Here he comes to save the day!
I have dumped the flathead Ford stuff (no disrespect intended) and I am focusing on the Fiat and its BBC.

I have some options as far as rectangle vs oval port heads and intake.

What is the deal with this?

Thanks in advance.

Well the rectangle port heads are the biggest and will offer the most flow in all out high performance applications. But all in all, a lot of folks prefer the oval port heads for street cars because of better low/mid rpm characteristics. Unless you are making a lot of power or running a really big inch engine. The oval ports are fine. The rectangular ports, or square ports as they are sometimes called, are better all out performers. That's the way I see it anyway. I've run both, but I'm not a professional engine builder by any stretch.

As a side note, there are also round port heads that were generally used on trucks. Stay away from those. They don't breathe well.

Some say the rectangular port heads are too big for street use. I've run both and both ran fine for its intended purpose. My Vette had the big heads with a lot of port work but I was running a roller cam and 4:88 gears. My Biscayne had the oval ports with a hydraulic cam and still handled over 500 hp.

Latest posts

Back