big block v6

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But if interesting and different is what you want go for it! [;)

interesting and different.......like a 6 cyl chevy in a 51 ford f-1-running zoomies....with a t-bucket frame.....and stuff like that;):D

really ratrods aren't always about horsepower--and usually not about practical.....its about cool, different and unusual

i remember just a few years ago NOBODY wanted old nailheads, oldsmobile motors, or chrysler/dodger poly motors either.......[S

Lets see which would I rather have to drive around town as a fun ride, an unusual engine which with some minor mods and dress up will have everyone looking and asking questions about or just another lame ass sbc like every other unimaginative wannabe "I wrote a check for it", "you'll have to ask my mechanic" quasi hot rodder out there.
Tough question, not for me!
Go for it!

interesting and different.......like a 6 cyl chevy in a 51 ford f-1-running zoomies....with a t-bucket frame.....and stuff like that;):D

really ratrods aren't always about horsepower--and usually not about practical.....its about cool, different and unusual

i remember just a few years ago NOBODY wanted old nailheads, oldsmobile motors, or chrysler/dodger poly motors either.......[S

Now that's a good point.

v1220painted20001smallef6.jpg

The valve cover on them looks similar to a 348/409. I wonder if they are the same family motor.? GMs real good on that sorta thing. That angle might be played up in an open engine car. I wonder if some parts might interchange? They could use a little more compression for street runner, and a non torque cam and head work ..

I had a 305 in a PU truck in the 70s with 300K miles on it that I got from a Propane company. Broke the crank on it and tore it down. The wear was amazingly minimal --probably due to the fuel. I guess the metal got fatigued from all the miles. Fine motors--just not a big performer, and didn't get good fuel economy with the propane--appx 10 mpg.

PA41

Well then with it being such a beefy block, how much can you bore and deck it? First thing I'd do is find out how much can be safely shaved off that block to get that lame 7.5 CR up.... and more cubes certainly wouldn't hurt while yer there.

Now that Deuce is different! A lot of work for 300 horses, though.
The V6's (and V12's) share nothing much with any other GM engine, they're kinda orphans.

The valve cover on them looks similar to a 348/409. I wonder if they are the same family motor.? GMs real good on that sorta thing. That angle might be played up in an open engine car. I wonder if some parts might interchange?
PA41

Funny you should mention that, I actually heard a couple of guys debate if the engine in my truck was a 348 or 409, doesn't take a genius to see its a 6cyl.

LOL, I even went as far to see if I could polish the cast iron manifold, ya I know, I need a hobby...oh thats right, I do.

No, parts do not interchange, that engine is unique to GMC trucks, it wasn't until 1966 that GMC and Chevrolet trucks shared the same assembly line.

Keep thinking outside the box, could make a uniquely cool project.

gmc-engine2.jpg

polishedmanifold.jpg

it appears as if that intake manifold doesn't cover the valley--like a seperate type valley cover?
if that is the case, couldn't a good fabricator build a sheetmetal-style intake for a 4 barrel-or something even more unique like a few stromberg/rochester 2 barrels....
just thinking thru the keyboard....[S

anyway they are unique engines--maybe a turbo set-up from something junk-yard scrounged would help power....compression ratio would handle it...

It does look alot like the 409. Its a BIG ole motor.. Heres a couple 409 shots.

You could mess with people with it--Make up a wild yarn--"Experimental 409 - 6 cylinder, only made 100 of em" Found it in a shed of an X GM exec------ Reality is 'flexable' at car shows.

PA41

Attachments

• !Bhsu2RgBGk~$(KGrHqEH-DkEsLt)kYrwBLKWh90-M!~~_35.jpg
    !Bhsu2RgBGk~$(KGrHqEH-DkEsLt)kYrwBLKWh90-M!~~_35.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 409_engine.jpg
    409_engine.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 6
I almost bought two trucks with this motor in them. One was a 63 GMC 3/4 truck for 150 bucks. My mom thought it was too ugly and wouldn't let me bring it home. I then almost bought a 64 GMC with the 305 in it. Ran real nice, truck was cheap, only 400 bucks but it was a big 2 tonner and with no brakes and no way of hauling it I passed. From what I recall they were built to be heavy duty 150-200k motors (this was back in the late 50s). I seem to remember that they designed water jackets around the valve stems and ports for extra cooling.

With the right gearing and carb I am sure getting decent mileage out of one wouldn't be tough. I have heard of folks getting low 20s with them with the proper setup.

I still think it's a cool thing to be a little different , I like the idea of a custom homemade intake with multi carbs .everything doesn't have to be SBC !

Latest posts

Back