Bill Of Sale Only?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it changes from state to state, there are some title comapanies out there that can do this but it depends on your state as well. check your local dmv web-site.

In California, you need a "pink slip" (title) and if its an out-of-state car, a vin verification also. If there are no vin numbers, the car would have to be inspected by the Highway Patrol. They only allow 500 car a year, to be registered as what ever they look like. For example, if you have a "glass" 32' roadster and you are one of the lucky "500", you can register the car as a 32'. If not, it will be registered as "new construction", which would make it a 2007 model. This means it will be regulated as a smog vehicle.

Due to the above, I only buy cars in California that have a California title and registration.

It's getting tougher every day as all the States seem to be taking a new look at our hobby and trying to find ways to make more money off of us. One member on another forum said a man from the State showed up at his door and wanted to see the old car that he had registered to make sure it was original. If it wasn't they were going to retitle it as a reconstructed car with a $ 750 fee attached to do so. Luckily, the guy had just sold the car prior to that, so he didn't have to deal with it.

As mentioned, every State is different, but I bet they all start cracking down in future years. The cleanest way is to get a good, clean title when you buy some old car.

Don

Every state is different. I have found here in Delaware interpatation of the "law" can differ between DMV offices. I went to the DMV office where I planned to get my title/insp done. I went in and asked to speak to the top man at the inspection lane. I told him what I was doing and had him tell me what I needed to do to get a title and tags.He laid it out for me and actually came out and walked thru the insp lane with me. The flunkies who like to bust your balls didnt say a word because he was there. It all went very smooth for me. Go to the man who has the final say so , everybody else advice is just talk,well meaning but still just talk.LFE

I am new to the rat rod scene and need a little help. If I buy something that has a bill of sale only, how do I title and register it in my home state? Does anybody know the laws for Louisiana?

This is the procedure, but note there are stipulations about record of ownership. I've used this method successfully.

Bob

Section: IV Motor Vehicle Registration Requirements Effective: 05/01/1990
Number: 8.01 Revised: 08/21/2000

APPLICATION FOR TITLE ON ANTIQUE, CLASSIC OR VINTAGE VEHICLES WHEN
NO CURRENT RECORD OF OWNERSHIP EXISTS
R.S. 32:707(L) provides for the issuance of a certificate of title for an antique, classic, or vintage vehicle when there is no current record of ownership on which to base the issuance of a new title. This would apply to vehicles twenty-five (25) years old or older.

REQUIREMENTS

1. Application for title (DPSMV 1799).
2. *Affidavit of physical inspection performed by the State Police Vehicle Theft Unit. Telephone (225)763-5757 for the troop location near the applicant.
3. Notarized bill of sale.
4. Statement from applicant attesting to his membership in an organized automobile club.
5. Fees and sales/use taxes as applicable.

This procedure is only to be used when NO current record of ownership can be determined. If the current owner information is determined, the applicant must follow the normal titling procedure for vehicles.

NOTE: Transactions on these vehicles may be processed by any Motor Vehicle office unless an antique plate is being requested, in which case the file must be sent to the Special Plate Unit at Headquarters.
Back

As a side note, a friend of mine bought an out-of-state rod on ebay. It was an estate sale (fly in, drive home) and only came with a bill of sale from the attorney handling the sale. Big problem as the bill of sale didn't come with a power of attorney and the rod had no vin numbers. Not only was the rod misrepresented, the DMV would not accept the paperwork without the power of attorney. He tried going through a title company and discovered that they won't do any cars in California.

Check with you state laws. Here in pa. if you buy a car vehicle from out of state with a bill of sale it has to be from a business not a person. In state you need a title or a mechanics leans.

As a side note, a friend of mine bought an out-of-state rod on ebay. It was an estate sale (fly in, drive home) and only came with a bill of sale from the attorney handling the sale. Big problem as the bill of sale didn't come with a power of attorney and the rod had no vin numbers. Not only was the rod misrepresented, the DMV would not accept the paperwork without the power of attorney. He tried going through a title company and discovered that they won't do any cars in California.

So what ended up happining to the guy that has the car.Did he get it registerd or did he just sell it??

I also may be crossing this bridge with the 29 Pontiac.I have the pink from 1939.The serial stamped on the frame jives with the pink,But I am thinkin that this pink most likley has been purged from the system.Anyone here from the Golden State have been through this with a car that hasent been regiterd for 68 years!!

I just did that with my '39 Dodge title George. It was an out of State title, so the DMV just wanted to verify the vin on the car was the same as the one on the title. I think if it had been a same State title I would have been able to just get a new one in my name with no hassles.

Call or stop by your DMV and ask, or just walk in and say you want the title transferred into your name. In a minute they can pull it up and tell you if it is kosher or not.

Don

Latest posts

Back