Black rifle sale!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a question from a guy who knows very little about guns (other than I own a couple of pistols). How does this mail order gun buying work ? I know you used to be able to buy guns from places like the Sears catalog, but I thought they made mail order guns illegal after the Kennedy and other shootings.

Do you have to have a license or clearance of some sort to buy this way ?

Don

Don,

It's not too bad to do. The weapons have to be transferred through FFL holders, so when you place the order it is shipped to the local FFL holder of your choice (for a fee), then physically transferred to you following typical paperwork. Same as walking into a shop and buying. The FFL holders actually handle all the shipping, etc.

Don - I've bought and sold through FFLs.

Simple a matter of a finding one locally that you feel comfortable with. All guns shops are FFLs and charge from $25 to $50. They may not all be receptive as the online shops are their competitors.

Pretty much anyone can become an FFL (Federal Firearms License) that can post the requirements. I know several collectors and a few LEOs that have their FFLs. You typically can fell comfortable as being Federally regulated they have too much at stake to be dishonest although of course it can happen.

Durung the "economic downswing" 8 years ago iI sold off about 10K in firearms. I was more concerned about the Mortgage than my toys. Used several FFls on both ends of the transactions and never had a issue.

That said I'm a firm believer in having a relation ship with a Local shop if you have one.

Latest posts

Back