Blast from the past....1940 Evinrude Elto Ace

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-R-POPS

''Rusty Mopar Slacker''
I was helping my dear old mom getting her place ready for winter and ran across my dads old Evinrude. When I just a little kid, we had a house boat in Boot Canyon at Conchas Dam. We used this outboard to go from the North Dock across the lake to the house boat. That was over 55 years ago.

I filed the points a liitle, cleaned the plug and poured 16:1 gas mix in the tank.
This sucker fired up on the third pull. I shut it down until I get time to drop the lower unit in water so it doesn't overheat and sieze. A whopping 1.8HP.

I know this thing hasn't been started in at least 45 years.
They don't make them like that any more.

Attachments

• IMG_4563.jpg
    IMG_4563.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4566.jpg
    IMG_4566.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4568.jpg
    IMG_4568.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 26
That's awesome!

I have to wonder tho. Should a lead substitute be ran in a two cycle motor? Forgive me if that's a ignorant question lol

The biggest problem with modern fuel in older outboards is the ethanol eating the carb seals and possible the float as some of these old engines had cork floats.
In my neck of the woods you can buy RV fuel at the local station and that's what I run in my vintage outboards. No ethanol= no problems.
Cool old outboard POPS. And I love the history associated with it.:cool: :D [cl
Torchie

What a cool old motor and so great that you still have it. When I was a kid my Dad bought a wooden boat from a neighbor and then we went to Sears and bought a 7.5 hp Elgin outboard for it. We used that boat almost every weekend.

I have some pictures of it around here somewhere and will have to dig them out.

Don

I hung it over a 55 gal drum for water and ran it yesterday. It still surprises me that it runs as well as it does after all these years. A really good example of keeping it simple.

Now I guess I'll let it run out of gas and drain the fuel completely out of it, clean the oil off it and hang it on the wall till it's 100 years old and start it again if I'm still around and able.

I have two motor projects going on right now:

1. A 1940 Evinrude---1.8 HP

2. A 2002 Dodge Magnum 408 Stroker---500+HP

The Evinrude didn't cost me anything, The Dodge cost still to be determined.
Well past the zero $ mark

Very kool! I had a client that rebuilt those to orig condition as a hobby! Looked showroom when he was done... always wanted one!

BoB

Latest posts

Back