body channeling

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcdimis

I'm trying figure out the best way to channel the body over the frame on my 36master deluxe (s10 frame). I'm thinking of welding 1x1 box tubing to the body skin and then crossing the frame with 1x1 tubing before covering the floor. Does anyone have any suggestions or pictures of how it has been done? Any help would be appreciated.
thanks

There are a million different ways to do it and all of them work. Basically, what you want to do is cut everything away that is holding the body where it sits now and lower it over the frame and block it up where you like the look. Then you have to decide what it will take to replace the floor and subfame to support the body in that new position.

I personally like 1 x 2 rectangular tubing as it gives a little more support and you can drill holes through it for body mount bolts. You will need to tie it into the door jams and sides of the body with some gussets, and then build something to cover the area below the frame when the door is open so you just see a metal plate there.

In the old days we just took a torch and cut out the whole floor and then dropped the body over the rails. Once we had the right height we would weld the floor back to the body. Thank goodness those days are long gone, we do things a lot better nowadays.

Don

Here, I found this picture of how we did the subframe in my Sons rpu, this might explain it better.

Brookville8028.jpg

Don, you never cease to amaze me....you are a wealth of information.....I'm very interested in seeing this process done also....don't forget the pics pcdimis when you tackle this job....

I agree with the 1x2 after seeing the photos (awesome job btw) I am only concerned with attaching the sub floor to the body of the car (how to make it solid).

Thanks CR. :)

Here is another angle of the subframe under construction. We added additional bracing in the area where your feet lay after this photo, and then that skeleton over the transmission was skinned with sheet metal.

dans30tunnelmorework004-1.jpg

One thing you can do is go to a metal supplier and have two pieces of 1/8 to 3/16 inch thick steel bent into an "L" shape to form the sides of the subframe. The long leg of the L will become the sides that drop down over the frame and hide it when you open the door.

Don

Thanks biggeorge, but I can't take a whole lot of credit for it, my Son Dan did most of it, I only helped. :eek:

Here is a better shot of how the folded "L" shaped side pieces form the top and sides of the subframe. That brace in the center is just a temporary jig we made to keep everything aligned while we welded the sides in place.

dans30bodychanneling012.jpg

And this picture shows the underside of the flooring after it was sprayed with bed liner. But you can still see how the bracing was done.

dansrpuundercoated.jpg

Don

Heres how i did it. there really isn't many ways to get this done. they'll all kinda look alike.
good luck

Attachments

• Floor bottom 1.jpg
    Floor bottom 1.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Floor bottom 5.jpg
    Floor bottom 5.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 53
thanks for the close up shots it has really helped me plan out how I am going to do it. I went this afternoon and got some 1x2 tubing to make my sub floor and I have some 1x1 for the floor supports. I plan on using some 3/16 plate to make supports to anchor to the body shell. I have along way to go yet and will start build thread soon as I can get a few more parts and make some progress (there was no floor/frame on the body and it was twisted pretty bad). I only have the passenger side door and am trying to make the drivers side from scratch (may be wasting time and material but gonna try). If I can make mine look half as good as your guys ride I will be thrilled, truly some talented people here and I am thankfull I found this site.
later

Don's floor looks so nice I'm kinda embarrassed to show the floor on my 34 Caddy, but here it is anyway.... I also used 1x2 for the main cross pieces so I could drill thru for body mounts. Though it's not channeled it still has the filler piece between the floor and the rocker panel like Don did. Somewhat similar to your 36 though.......

Attachments

• april 16 2012 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    april 16 2012 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 63
  • april 16 2012 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    april 16 2012 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 54
  • april 17 2012 34 cadillac 005.jpg
    april 17 2012 34 cadillac 005.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 55
  • april 17 2012 34 cadillac 004.jpg
    april 17 2012 34 cadillac 004.jpg