body drop (channeling) or "z" the frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custom cabby

I have spent a few hours under my truck and still unsure as to what I want to do and would like some opinions on what to do. First off, its a 68 f100 and I want it lowered... really lowered. IFS is not an option and swapping out a frame is the last resort. I considered "z"-ing the front frame about 6" and the blocking/c-notching the rear part or even converting it to coils. I have already flipped the rear and taken the helper spring out which gained me about 6" drop and only cut new coils in the front. Remember that these have the I-beam set up. Dream Beams (lowered I-beams) would only give me so much drop and hard to modify more to go even lower. Hence... "z" the frame or do a body drop (channel in a sort) to get the body closer to the ground. If I do the body drop then I, in a sense keep the stock suspension. But in the same run, will have to do some major mods to the floor to clear tranny and drive shaft. And not to mention raising the bed floor. And raising the cab floor would not bother me because when you sit in the cab, it pretty much feels like you have about 16" of head space to play with. (maybe I am exaggerating a little...... 15.5") a I pretty much know all the pro's and con's to both, but if you guys have any input that you think would help, let me know. And last but not least, I am not putting a show truck together and intend on having fun driving this thing so the cosmetics aren't that much of an issue as far as show quality.

I know you said "No IFS" but if you want to go extremely low, a Grand Marquis front X-member would be much easier and better than the twin I-beams. Disc brakes, power steering, and good ride all at once.
By the time the body is low as you want with the I beams, the engine is going to be sticking out of the hood! And it can't be lowered in the frame without major surgery.

Latest posts

Back