Bonehead is back to work

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PA310001.jpg

Seriously, can you show the build steps on that?

Thanks guys!
You are not going to believe the steps, I did not take pictures, mainly because I don't stop when I am building those kind of things. I have to kind of be "feeling it" to make them come out right. If I am not, it doesn't turn out the way I really want. That is the artist in me. I started with a great big flat washer, but I could have easily started with plate, and cut out a circle. Then I cut the washer in half, and shaped an off center cowboy hat brim. I then got a small piece of pipe and beat the top of the hat into it. Then I cut that in two. Since I am building two of these and they had to be mirror images of each other, I built them at the same time. Next I drew out the eyes with soap stone, and figured the size of circles I needed for the eyes. Everything had to be built a skew since the faces would be tilted forward on each side. I have a cut off wheel mounted like a bench grinder, and I use it to cut small stock pieces of everything. Under that cut off wheel there is a pile of 1/4 inch chunks of material. I grabbed up a handfull of those pieces and welded them into a skull face.

I know, I know, that probably does not help you much. It is kind of like when you are making a clay sculpture of something, and you roll a shape of clay in your hand and press it into the sculpture to give it shape. People ask how you did it..... well I just did it.
At any rate, I am really glad you guys dig it.

Ok, you've got to tell us how you did the cowboy skull and hat. That's some spectacular work!

Ditto!!! First thing I thought was "Holy ...." Second thing was "HOW did you do that hat!?!"

You are not a fabricator......you are an artist......very cool

Thanks guys!
You are not going to believe the steps, I did not take pictures, mainly because I don't stop when I am building those kind of things.

Sorry... I'm not buyin' it! I'm pretty sure it's magic... that's the only explanation!!!

Incredible work man... incredible!!! [cl[cl[cl

BoB

I can see it now that you explained it. You might help the fellas out with a shot from the top or rear showing how far out it comes from the plate. [;)

I can see it now that you explained it. You might help the fellas out with a shot from the top or rear showing how far out it comes from the plate. [;)

Yeah, 2 dimensional photos can really play games with your brain. Now that you have explained it and I have stared at it for about 5 minutes I can kind of figure it out. Regardless, I agree with Tripper - it's Magic.

Latest posts

Back