Boom, and off went the oil filter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Break in oil my man. Lots of post on other forums about wiped lobes. Brad pen makes a good one. Also check what your cam manufacturer recommends.

Blacksheep, keep in mind, for the next rebuild, there's an outfit in Colorado that will put your cam and lifters on a machine and break them in for you. Then, all you gotta do is install them in your engine and crank 'er up. No fast rpms and all that. It's all done already. I paid 50 bucks to do my last one but, they've gone up a bit to 60. Still worth it though. I checked with them about a year ago and they will do some non-Ford cams too. Here's the link. Good luck.
http://www.camresearchcorp.com/camking/

Blacksheep, keep in mind, for the next rebuild, there's an outfit in Colorado that will put your cam and lifters on a machine and break them in for you. Then, all you gotta do is install them in your engine and crank 'er up. No fast rpms and all that. It's all done already. I paid 50 bucks to do my last one but, they've gone up a bit to 60. Still worth it though. I checked with them about a year ago and they will do some non-Ford cams too. Here's the link. Good luck.
http://www.camresearchcorp.com/camking/

Thanks for the info.well,I drained some oil out of the pan and found some very light metallic in my danged oil. I had the oil pan off and looked at the lobes on the cam, and there was no scratches or wear marks. But, when I dried the pan the oil looked like it had what looked like a ground up pencil lead in it. Is this pieces of lifters or what? The block was bare metal and was a fresh rebuild. I don't want to crank this motor up unless I can identify what is going on. It's still not broken in,otherwise I would spin the motor over and check to see if the push rods or spinning. I may have to remove the intake ,and rocker arms and have a look at the lifters.

Thanks for the info.well,I drained some oil out of the pan and found some very light metallic in my danged oil. I had the oil pan off and looked at the lobes on the cam, and there was no scratches or wear marks. But, when I dried the pan the oil looked like it had what looked like a ground up pencil lead in it. Is this pieces of lifters or what? The block was bare metal and was a fresh rebuild. I don't want to crank this motor up unless I can identify what is going on. It's still not broken in,otherwise I would spin the motor over and check to see if the push rods or spinning. I may have to remove the intake ,and rocker arms and have a look at the lifters.

Does a magnet pick up the sludge? Depending on the cylinder hone finish, you may get some fine material wearing off and ending up in the pan. How well was the block cleaned when hot tanked, were the oil galley plugs removed? Could have been some guk hiding in them.
I'd pop off a couple rod caps and main caps to check for unusual bearing wear. Some cam break in lubes can also wind up settling in the pan.

Does a magnet pick up the sludge? Depending on the cylinder hone finish, you may get some fine material wearing off and ending up in the pan. How well was the block cleaned when hot tanked, were the oil galley plugs removed? Could have been some guk hiding in them.
I'd pop off a couple rod caps and main caps to check for unusual bearing wear. Some cam break in lubes can also wind up settling in the pan.

ZZ, it did pick up some of it on a magnet. Very tiny specs of really shiny silver specs also. When I bought this motor, it was on a stand bare metal, and completely rebuilt with new parts. I spoke to the machine shop that did the work, and to some folks who know them. They are pros,especially big block Fords. I'm going to drain some oil from it this evening and look at that oil. I just don't want to mess up a good motor, you know. I may be freaking over such a minute amount of metallic. But, I feel like it had to come from somewhere. The block was so clean when I installed the intake ,and oil pan. It still had assembly lube dripping off the lobes of cam and all components. Just sick. One more note. The motor starts at one turn and runs without so much of a hic up.

Here's the oil from the filter
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back