Bored with car shows.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice to have you Boosh...

Looks like to need to make an intro and forward some pic's of that / those rides.....yep kids are the cool thing.....need to pass on the hobby...yeah, I hate those stuffed kid dolls too!!!

Back in the late 70's and early 80's, all the guys with a hot rod, hot truck, mom's car, or whatever, would meet in the drug store parking lot, Saturday nights, and talk trash. Sometimes, we'd all work on somebodys car, all day, so he could drive it to the "parkin' lot" that night. There were maybe 10 of us that were were pretty good friends at that time. Occassionally, we'd go over to the next town, through the tunnel, and see the guys in their "parkin' lot". People would stop by and BS and check out our cars. The cops kept an eye on things.

If someone got a new carb or something, somebody would always challenge him to a race. There was a fairly good place, which somehow had a quarter mile marked off, about three miles from our hang out. We'd all run out to watch or run. Seems like every time, one of us would get pulled over and the cops would want to know who won. We always carried a fire extinguisher , first aid kit, and blankets. The local police said it would look better if the County cops ever caught us.

That was our car shows. Everybody helped each other and really appreciated what the other guy had. And if you just showed up and wanted to ride in a "hot rod", we'd be more than happy to do that for you. It usually was a one time thing. Not many return customers. Ha.

Late to the party again. :(

I'm sick of the shows, too. Especially the formal indoor crap. You see the same stuff in a different color for the most part, and the Peacocks annoy me. You know, the look at me and my "perfect" car types. Borrringgg.

That said, there are some decent events around town. Show and shines put on for charity, no trophys, no nothing. Just come if you want, leave if you must. That's where the real drivers are anyhow. I think the public and us car guys feel the same. Last summer, one of those charity events had twice the cars the big annual indoor show did. Perfect. You see cars that wouldn't see the light of day otherwise because it's totally informal, and not a trailer to be seen.

A couple hours away, there's a great weekend to be had every year. Those guys got it figgered out. Friday night, huge cruise like it's 1955 again. Saturday, drags at the strip, fire under the lights. Sunday, car show downtown. If you can't find something to enjoy that weekend, you should hang yourself.

So, like many have mentioned, I pick and choose what events to attend. Most suck, but there are a few worth doing. It's good to skip around a little anyhow. Some of those people get sick of seeing me, too. :D

Better Late than never....lol

I'm sure that around Canada there are some pretty nice rides.....I know they got some pretty nice boats....have seen some pretty nice old boats in Port Carling Ontario.....old wooden ones that look like new...but alas, I ramble again....ahy?

I was just thinkin' what if you had a crybaby doll laying on the ground in front of your car with a lot of ketchup spread around. Then some of you say you have rubber rats... well what if they were like chewing on the doll....might make a statement.........yes? no? :D:D:D

Welcome Boosh, glad you joined in.
A buddy of mine is ate up with the NSRA show here in Springfield Mo. and I've went with him twice with my car.
I'm so bored by the second day I could scream and he doesn't seem to get that hell maybe I don't get it ?
Here's the bite for me, you give $30 to join NSRA then $15 to show your car??
and then they charge the public to view your car?????
Someone set me straight here please.
I remember being a teenager and takin my 57 Belaire to the local shopping center a gal on my arm or not, enjoying myself and not costing much of anything and I had a blast.
I'm done

The local watering holes (Starbucks) have the same cars showing up each week. I go to meet my friends and to shoot the breeze. I never stay more than a hour or two. The shows I like (Primer Nationals, Mooneyes BBQ and Xmas Show) have live bands and it's great for people watching. The Street Rod Nationals, I find, are a snooze fest, but my friends set up camp and BBQ. If I get bored, I'll leave, catch a movie and go back when the sun goes down. That's when the cruising starts.

Make a Statement!!!!?????

I was just thinkin' what if you had a crybaby doll laying on the ground in front of your car with a lot of ketchup spread around. Then some of you say you have rubber rats... well what if they were like chewing on the doll....might make a statement.........yes? no? :D:D:D

You'd probably freak out some old lady, she'd have a stroke on the spoke and you'd end up being charged with Manslaughter.....!!!!!!:eek: LOL

How about a few crybaby dolls chewing on a big rubber rat? :D

I just had to pick myself off the ground laughing at that. Great post and I know what I'm doing at least once this summer!

Shows?

I like the shows ok. Some are better than others. Here in Knoxville, we are close to Pigeon Forge where they have a show EVERY weekend.

In Knoxville, we have a cruise at a empty Kmart parking lot every Saturday night. Usually around 250 to 300 cars. Laid back....I enjoy that more than any show. I enjoy getting 3 or 4 cars goin' somewhere together. Nothing is as cool as some rods and customs runnin' down the highway. Thats just me......don't like to be "organized" and ain't interested in trophies.[ddd

I like killin' bugs!:D:D

Lynn:cool:

Shaky, you right in Knoxville???

I like the shows ok. Some are better than others. Here in Knoxville, we are close to Pigeon Forge where they have a show EVERY weekend.

In Knoxville, we have a cruise at a empty Kmart parking lot every Saturday night. Usually around 250 to 300 cars. Laid back....I enjoy that more than any show. I enjoy getting 3 or 4 cars goin' somewhere together. Nothing is as cool as some rods and customs runnin' down the highway. Thats just me......don't like to be "organized" and ain't interested in trophies.[ddd

Got some relatives living in the Rogersville area...

:eek: HEY!! I will park next to the Advanced Auto parts building next time. :p Hope to see ya there this year. I didnt get out to the cruise ins much last year 'cept for the one in Seymour, across the street from the house.
Tim

Latest posts

Back