bored

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotroddaddy

What do you guys do when you get bored with your car? I dont have the money to start a new project, but im tired of the one i have, i cant seem to find the enthusiasm to keep working on it, so im thinking of selling it. The other problem is , if i sell it do i use the money for another car? or do i use the money and buy a bunch of needed tools? if i buy tools , then i could build a car from the ground up. What would you do?

i always recommend buying/having tools.With tools you could build things that would otherwise cost you money.With tools you can make money making stuff for other people...My dad always told me there are some things you can never go wrong by buying and that is tools and guns..

:D

I agree with you on the tools, and guns, but my thinking is, ill probably never have the money to buy all the tools i would like, but if i can get enough for the car ,then i would have the money to buy all the metal working tools i need, then i could build a car from scratch, like ive been dreaming of for awhile. I want to build an all aluminum model a style rod, but i want to build it like they built old bomber planes, keeping all the rivets exposed. I cant do this with the small amount of tools i have.

everything i worked on till i got my willys was motorcycles so while building my truck i ran into tools that i needed like floor jacks jackstands...engine hoist
larger sockets larger wrenches

so i had a 5000 dollar budget for my truck and when i needed a tool for the project it was bought from my budget so far ive spent about 1/3 of my 5 grand on tools

my next project id like to try and build it for the popular 3000 dollar mark
becouse this time ive already got all the tools needed

sounds like the way to go if you are ready to move on. sell it, figure out what you want, and then spend the money accordingly.

My main problem is, i get these ideas, then when im almost done, i lose interest, plus i have found i like building them more than just having fun cruising. Plus the wife wants me to start her t-bird now, so the tools would help the build alot.

A friend of mine likes gathering the parts and coming up with the design, then looses interest and moves on to start the next project. That drives me crazy. (And if you read this, yes, I am talking about you Greg.)

My first build took 3 years. I swore I would never sell my car. After 6 years, I still loved my car and hated it at the same time. I stuck a price on it that was non-negotiable. It helped that I was finishing another project. Some guy paid the price for my car and I moved on. It's been over a year and sometimes I miss my car, but I now have others to occupy my time. I will always have a car, while I work on another, so I don't take short cuts and finished it the way I want.
I know so many guys that sold their cars but as emergencies arise, they never got around to buying/building another.

Whenever I sell a car, I always try to use that money to fund my next project. But before I sell the car I'm bored with, I always have a plan for my next project. I pick the type of car I want to build and make a plan for what I want to do to said future project car. That way, I'm not sitting on the money from the sale of my previous car very long and I won't start spending the money on other things.

That's how I'm going to do it Gastrick. I'm coming to the end of my build of the 52 Ford pick up. All that's left is the interior and paint. I'll just drive it around until someone makes an offer. Then I'll go on to my next project.

So like i said i started with 5000 dollars in a way i think it made things more expencive.Having a pile of cash to use caused me to not look around for "deals" on parts like in junk yards swap meets and stuff like that it was just so easy to get it from so-cal or speedway...in the end my build will cost more than it should of because of my lazyness to hunt for parts:rolleyes:

Next!!!

What do you guys do when you get bored with your car? I dont have the money to start a new project, but im tired of the one i have, i cant seem to find the enthusiasm to keep working on it, so i'm thinking of selling it. The other problem is , if i sell it do i use the money for another car? or do i use the money and buy a bunch of needed tools? if i buy tools , then i could build a car from the ground up. What would you do?

HRD,
Many people have great ideas like u do & once they get that idea out & on the ground... another comes along & that is where u get the thrill. I'd say some killer tools would be worth it if u can bear to sell the Merc!!! Everyone seems to really love it & I sure u would have no trouble selling it! A coin toss is always a good way to decide!!! ; - >

BoB

Depends if this is not the first car you hve gotten borded with,,then you need to ask yourself some big questions,,and as far as tools,,make em!! tools don't make a difference ,,'passion" is teh key

No its not the first car ive gotten bored with, and i have plenty of passion. No tools dont make a difference, but they sure make my ideas happen alot easier. I think tripper nailed it, its the ideas i like the most. Thanks for the thoughts guys, and girl, you have given me stuff to ponder.

HRD,
I am an idea guy myself. I build a lot of metal furniture, and lighting, and have for many many years. The worst slumps I have are when the same ol same ol is selling like crazy and I don't have time to make the new stuff in my head. For me the answer is to take a day off from work, and build something for myself. I know guys who have built the same car several times because they are tired of it. For you, maybe Some new tools will scratch the itch to get things moving. What tools are you thinking about?
Used tools and pawnshop tools will make your $ go further. just a thought.

I need metal tools, like english wheel, sheetmetal brake, lath, all the real expensive stuff, plus i would like a torch or a plasma cutter, bigger welding machines, stuff like that.

My '27 was my longest build, 6 years, and I got bored many times and wouldn't go into the garage for months at a time. I sort of am experiencing that with this current T also. There are things I could be doing, but I make excuses, like it is too hot during the day, etc.

I think we all forget this is a hobby, and should be fun. Like any hobby you don't want to be doing it every day. I used to love fishing, but at the end of the day I was ready to put the boat and gear away and didn't want to see them for another couple of weeks or so.

When the building of a car becomes a "must do it" affair, it then becomes like a job, and we all know how much fun those are. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And hotroddaddy, as for all those tools, don't buy them all at once, even if you could. It is better to add one nice piece of equipment at a time and learn to really use it and enjoy it before you add another. Sometimes you find out you really don't want or need all the stuff you think. Perfect example was the tig I got Dan for xmas. For years now that is all he has talked about, so I got him one. It is now 7 months later, and he has used it one time to practice, because he is so comfortable with his mig that he sticks with it. I know eventually he will start to use it, but for now it just collects dust.

Don

English wheel ?

I need metal tools, like english wheel...

You can make your own English Wheel.
Lots of info online,sites like www.Allshops.org

If you can scrounge material,and do your own welding and machining,
you can build a real nice one for the price of a few ball bearings.
That's how I did mine,and one for a friend.

If you don't have access to a lathe,to make the wheels,
you can buy them from a few different sources.

Make what you can,buy the rest.

Latest posts

Back